DjangoBooks.com

Django's birthday

PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
in History Posts: 426
Let's have a thought for this extraordinary man. Without him we would not be together :)

I propose to celebrate his birthday with a special song, often considered as a poor version of Django's Tiger. This song is Mano, Django chose this title in reference to a guitar player he knew Mano Rena.
I made some research and contacted the relatives of Mano Rena to get new pictures of Mano and get a sense of the relationship between Django and Mano. It seems that the book of Michael Dregni has some mistakes about Mano: she was not Romani and she was probably not a paramour of Django.
I let you read the article and hope you'll enjoy the transcription and play it as an alternate to Django's Tiger some time in your jams.

Mano

The other transcriptions of this Oct 4 1947 are coming soon (Blues primitif, Moppin the bride, Insensiblement, Gypsy with a song)
PetrovBillDaCostaWilliamsBucowimMichaelHorowitzroch@rochlockyer.comspatzoBob Holo

Comments

• scotscot Virtuoso
    It's amazing the things that people keep finding! Thanks for the hard work, Pierre.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Thanks Paps!
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited January 2018 Posts: 1,457
    Thanks Paps, on topic as usual!

Here's da tube ...

roch@rochlockyer.com
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    Hope yep Wim thanks for the link for the music. I forgot to add it!
    roch@rochlockyer.com
  • roch@rochlockyer.com[email protected] new mexico (current)✭✭
    DJANGO!! Happy B-day.. Heres a short Iphone clip of Le Yeux Noir...one of the right-of-passage solos for any serious student of Django infused style...Dupont Busato..I've only played a couple of guitars that I would trade my Dupont for but they are 2-4X the price :)

MichaelHorowitzmorriconeMcQ
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    Tks Pierre! good work! It's amazing how Django is always able to give color to the notes he plays.
    When I hear that I always think that we are more interested in the notes we play more than how to make them sound
    Bob Holo
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    So true, it is especially true on this session. I m transcribing Blues Primitif and he uses a really wide range of effects with quite a small range of notes.
    Even in an early session of 1940, you have Les Yeux Noirs, a lot of notes played straight forward at high speed recorded right after Little White Lies with a simple solo, a few notes repeated over the different phrases but with a different intention in each.
    Django IS music: whatever we want to study, to focus on, it is in his music.
    BucoTeddy Dupont
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    Wow- excellent! @rochlockyer.com I am so envious of you guys who make it look so easy (I know it certainly isn't!)
    roch@rochlockyer.com
  • roch@rochlockyer.com[email protected] new mexico (current)✭✭
    Thanks Andrew...The notes are easy....The right hand is a bitch ;)))