DjangoBooks.com

Did "Quntette du hot club" play Shrewsbury Music Hall ?

TrevJTrevJ ShropshireNew JWC Selmer replica
in History Posts: 15
A few months ago a friend came to see me, he is about 90 years old and a real gentleman. He saw my JWC guitar on its stand and he said "oh, last time I saw a guitar like that was when I saw Quintette du hot club with Django Reinhardt and Stephane Grappelli playing at Shrewsbury music hall". I was a little unsure what to say, I said "Django played at Shrewsbury music hall" he said yes Django was amazing he kept playing fast runs on the guitar a bit like a train coming through a tunnel. I have since contacted "Phil Scoggins" who is a curator at the Shrewsbury museum housed in the old music hall. He cannot find any record of this event, I would have thought this would have been recorded somewhere or maybe my friend John is a little confused. If anybody has any knowledge either way I would be very interested.
dm7b5Bucowim

Comments

• PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    I dont think we have a detailed list of Django's tour in England so it might be possible. Teddy Dupont may have a more informative answer.
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    I will check my records to be sure but I do not recall the Quintette playing at the Shrewsbury Music Hall. It was certainly not on the list of the usual places they performed at when they were in the UK. Presumably he was talking about the 1948 tour rather than the 1938/39 tours.
    Cool story. Your friend must've seen Django somewhere, that sounds like a pretty well ingrained memory.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • TrevJTrevJ ShropshireNew JWC Selmer replica
    I will check my records to be sure but I do not recall the Quintette playing at the Shrewsbury Music Hall. It was certainly not on the list of the usual places they performed at when they were in the UK. Presumably he was talking about the 1948 tour rather than the 1938/39 tours.
    Thanks for your reply, I am sure it would have the 1948 tour. John was in the RAF throughout WW2. He is a very intelligent guy with a pretty good memory, he seemed very confident in his statement but he could have been mistaken. I appreciate your assistance.

Trev.