DjangoBooks.com

Django @ Lincoln Center - August 1st, 2006

2»

Comments

• pallopennapallopenna Rhode IslandNew
    Man I feel really stupid. I knew this...
    Reject the null hypothesis.
  • SorefSoref Brookline, MA✭✭✭✭
    I just saw this outfit at the Regatta Bar in Boston, and it was absolutely awesome. Highlights for me had to be the improvised intros and Codas. Before playing Nuages there was something like a three minute cutting contest between Sampson and Florin. Both of them were absolutely astounding. Dorado was great, and played some crazy choruses, especially after he'd finish a Django solo it seemed like he felt the need to really establish his own voice. For an intermission Florin and the Schmitts went to the bar and Bassist Brian Torf performed a killer solo arrangement of Willow Weep for me, replete with chords in harmonics and four-finger-pizz-magic. Periodically during the show Dorado would call Tchavolo down from the bar, and he would sit in, his joy and energy is infectious. The show was great from start to finish. As people filed out we talked with Sampson and Tchavolo in our bad French and English, very nice guys. All the instruments were packed, but Florin sat down at the piano and played some great renditions of standards while the schmitts sang along, ( and Tchavolo periodically felt the need to get up and dance). Sorry to ramble on, it was just a great night.

P.S.
    I don't think I clear enough in my post, Tchavolo rocked the house, everytime he picked up a guitar, it was something special.
    -
    the other Jack
  • plankityplankity CTNew
    Thanks for the report! It sounds like a very memorable show!

I can't wait for Tuesday in NYC!

Norman CT/USA