DjangoBooks.com

Favorite easy-going gypsy jazz songs?

epsdudeepsdude New
edited March 2018 in Welcome Posts: 20
I love songs that are easy-going, upbeat, and happy like lulu swing, coquette, or (I hate to eternally ruin this song for you) major swing. In the type of songs I'm referring to, there's almost no tension or dark tones to the chord progressions if you know what I mean. What are your favorite that you'd like to share?

EDIT: I'll add this since I remembered it: Whispering

Comments

• adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    Please be Kind, Someday You'll be Sorry.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • sadowsadow ✭✭ Altamira M30 Antique
    "I Love You," "Them There Eyes," "Rose Room," "Exactly Like You"
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Swing 39 (I play it with Bb major tonality, although I've seen the grille written with G minor I prefer the major)
  • epsdudeepsdude New
    Buco wrote: »
    Please be Kind, Someday You'll be Sorry.

Hmm, sounds like a threat.
    Jim KaznoskyBucoBonesbillyshakesPetrovBillDaCostaWilliams
  • PompierPompier MarylandNew Cigano GJ-15
    edited March 2018 Posts: 62
    For upbeat, feel-good songs rather than just tunes in the GJ canon, I have a particular soft spot for J'attendrai, Ménilmontant, and Blue Skies. Interestingly, in performances by French luminaries (Trenet, Aznavour) Ménilmontant has been a song with a distinctly American feel, while in the Anglophonie it has become something of a quintessential Parisian swing number.
    Buco
  • ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar
    “My Blue Heaven” “Sweet Georgia Brown” “Confessing”
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    Hey Pompier what do you mean by distinctly American feel for Menilmontant interpretation?
    For sure, Trenet was americanophile and he is responsible for introducing an American touch (le swing mainly) into "la variete francaise" (our Broadway songs) but they have a distinct french flavor for me still.
  • PompierPompier MarylandNew Cigano GJ-15
    Yes, I mean simply that there's more American influence there than in most French popular music of the time. That's even more true of the Ray Ventura version from 1941. Aznavour seems to be the only famous singer to have kept that song alive in France after the war. I particularly like the video of his from 1967 with a rhythm section à la Count Basie. In contrast, Ménilmontant has been played a lot outside France, and overwhelmingly in GJ style, which is perceived as typically French. So, you have the curious result that if someone goes to Youtube to listen to a typically French rendition of this song, they will probably hear it sung with an English accent.

An interesting related question is to what extent European audiences of the 30s and early 40s associated popular Hollywood-style swing music with US influence. From what I can gather, it seems that they generally did not.