DjangoBooks.com

installing tailpiece leather question

Comments

• Rob P.Rob P. PhoenixNew
    Being new to this genre, there is a steep learning curve ahead. My question is : what is the function of the the leather? How much diference would it make on a DG255? (not worried about color or stars at this point...)

Thanks,

Rob P.
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    The leather serves as a cushion between the metal tailpiece and the finished wood to help protect against finish cracking over time and over tightening of the screws.

Cheers,
    Josh
  • just the bassplayerjust the bassplayer Huntington, NYNew
    My experience has been some what different concerning the addition of the leather below the tail-piece. I've done this to a Gitane D-500, and a DG-300 Jorgenson model.
    In both of the cases I did this because the tail-piece produced strange sympathethic vibrations which were unwanted, and rather nasty sounding. After having added the leather, both of the instruments were greatly improved, as the sympathetic sounds were eliminated without any negative effect to the sound of the guitar.

Michael Hayes
    I have found this to be the case on a few instruments. I had a D-500 that was like that. I have seen some 255M models that needed the leather to help with the problem. I found that the leather was actually killing vibrations on the plastic inset on the tailpiece. If replaced with wood the strange over tones went away. Is the inset on your 300 the tortoise looking plastic or is it wood? They come both ways from Saga.

When I replaced the plastic with wood or replaced the tailpiece with a higher quality one (with wood inset) the strange buzzing and over tones left.

All very interesting....
  • just the bassplayerjust the bassplayer Huntington, NYNew
    Hi, Josh:

My new JJ model D-300 has the wooden insert. I think the instrument is splendid, I just needed to kill that nasty vibration from the tail piece.

Michael Hayes
    Interesting. Glad that the leather worked out! Nothing like an inexpensive fix!

Cheers,
    Josh
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    Josh Hegg wrote:
    "how far up the piece should it extend" - About 6mm
    "do the screws go through the leather" - Yes
    "is it glued into place" - No
    "just the corners" - No
    "the whole piece" - if your still talking about glue then - No
    "which color of leather sounds best" - This is where things get really technical. This is a very individual and personal process and should not be taken lightly. If you are asking the question then you really should take the time to think seriously about the answer. I'll try and answer your question with a question. What color allows you to play your best?

Cheers,
    Josh

This thread would be a good candidate for a "sticky". You are such a great resource for us, Josh!
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • bill raymondbill raymond Red Bluff, CA✭✭✭
    I think the leather is a modern substitute for the felt that Selmer used. They used it not to dampen any vibrations, but to cushion the binding where the bridge passed over it. Previously, they had used a small bridge set into the bindings, like on a violin. You will see that on Francois Charle's plan for the Grande Bouche model. I use this construction and dispense with the colored stuff; it's a bit more work, but I've felt it worth it. However, if you need a dash of color to play better...
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    Previously, they had used a small bridge set into the bindings, like on a violin. You will see that on Francois Charle's plan for the Grande Bouche model. I use this construction and dispense with the colored stuff; it's a bit more work, but I've felt it worth it.

The new Cigano GJ15 I just bought for my girlfriend last week has this construction. Very similar to the ridge under the tailpiece of my upright bass. I was quite surprised, and had already figured on getting some leather under there, but it doesn't need it. 100% buzz free
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • AmmonBAmmonB ✭✭
    Josh,

I was planning on buying a guitar from the site and gettin it setup by you all when I purchase it. Part of the setup includes the tailpiece leather. Do you guys give an option as to the color of the leather? I wasn't really lookin for green shiny stars, per se, but I was just curious if there were options.

Thanks!
    AmmonB