DjangoBooks.com

Does anyone else here prefer playing la pompe without a pick?

2»

Comments

• terrassierterrassier France
    If you introduce a bit of fingernail into the mix when using a pick its interesting how it gives it a vintage recording type vibe ..... but epsdude, I think it comes down to practice with a pick to be able to vary the sound/volume to get what suits the situation.

Not that im no Mathieu Chatelain BTW :)
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Just hold the pick in the 'traditional' way (for lack of a better term. Curl ur index finger, set the pick on it with the pointy end toward the strings, lay ur thumb down on it. The fingernails hitting the strings is common. There has been much discussion of peoples nails/knuckles turning black after a long gig playing rhythm from the Argie strings. Maybe someone knows a thread or video where this is discussed. Sorry I can't explain it better. But again, it's more about what one is used to and the tone you want to get. No one 'correct' way to do it IMHO. I think if u are using ur fingernails without a pick u r probably pointing the end of your fingers at the strings. That's not the way you would 'typically' hold the pick in this style. U would need to curl ur index finger.
  • altonalton Keene, NH✭✭ 2000 Dell'Arte Long Scale Anouman, Gadjo Modele Francais, Gitane DG-330 John Jorgensen Tuxedo
    Bones wrote: »
    There has been much discussion of peoples nails/knuckles turning black after a long gig playing rhythm from the Argie strings.

I play a two hour gig every week, and the first knuckles on both my index and middle fingers end up being black.

I have come to realize that this is how I feel where the strings are and how much to dig in (or how much to NOT dig in) with the pick. It also adds a bit more sonic information, much like what brushes do to a snare drum vs sticks. Is that what you mean @terrassier when you say that it adds a "vintage recording type vibe" to the tone? I would say that is an accurate description.

I am still working on my pompe (who isn't?), but this was a major breakthrough for me in chasing the sound that I want.

The downside is that life happens, and sometimes I won't be able to find the time to practice or play much for a couple weeks at a time and the calluses on my knuckles soften up. Then when I get back to it, it feels like I hit my knuckles on a belt sander and that they might actually start bleeding.

Buco
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Yeah I actually had the knuckle on my index finger start bleeding part way thru a gig once. Of course had to play thru it and finish the gig. Kind of gross ended up with a bit of blood on the guitar top. Fortunately only happened once on a long, purely acoustic outdoor gig and I had to really lay into the strings for the volume. But I do think it is 'normal' to have the knuckles/nails on at least the first one or two fingers to lightly brush the strings but I'm not an expert so who knows. And, yes, I do think it is part of the tone but not to say that is the only way to do it.
  • terrassierterrassier France
    alton wrote: »
    Bones wrote: »
    There has been much discussion of peoples nails/knuckles turning black after a long gig playing rhythm from the Argie strings.

I play a two hour gig every week, and the first knuckles on both my index and middle fingers end up being black.

I have come to realize that this is how I feel where the strings are and how much to dig in (or how much to NOT dig in) with the pick. It also adds a bit more sonic information, much like what brushes do to a snare drum vs sticks. Is that what you mean @terrassier when you say that it adds a "vintage recording type vibe" to the tone? I would say that is an accurate description.

I am still working on my pompe (who isn't?), but this was a major breakthrough for me in chasing the sound that I want.

The downside is that life happens, and sometimes I won't be able to find the time to practice or play much for a couple weeks at a time and the calluses on my knuckles soften up. Then when I get back to it, it feels like I hit my knuckles on a belt sander and that they might actually start bleeding.

Yep Brushes versus sticks describes it too :)

I was pretty taken with it when I first started to do it ..... if you were la pomping for the likes of Duved it might go pretty well.
  • DjangoJayDjangoJay New
    Howdy, Personally for la pompe I hold the pick with my index and middle finger tips behind the pick and thumb on top. For soloing you can just push the pick back to your index with your thumb. I use a Clifford 3.5mm pick (great wegen copy), using the point of the pick.

Thought I'd chip in as I struggle to get rhythm sounding as good with index and thumb. I'm no expert but hope the advice helps :)
  • Bones wrote: »
    Even playing with a pick I've still worn the top of my index fingernail flat from brushing it across the strings (which is common with this technique, brushing that is). If you play for a while at one sitting with Argies it turns the nail/fingertips black. If I played only using my fingernails and no pick I'd be afraid I would wear thru the nail to the skin :-) but I've never tried it.

That is to say, even with a pick, the nails (at least the index finger) will/should also brush the strings especially for rhythm at least that's my experience (not to say I have great technique).

Exactly! My index finger nail is always a mess!

• ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar
    From my days playing flamenco, I do like playing with just my hands. Problem is, I’m the band leader and I need to get back to pick quick. My non-pick style from flamenco a involves hand too open and moving to tuck a pick in between third and fourth finger.