DjangoBooks.com

Altamira M10/30 or Gitane Lulo Reinhardt?

Comments

• vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M
    I was wondering about that one? Maybe somebody will post a demo at some point,
  • LeonPLeonP New
    I tried model M at musicmesse in Germany. I didnt like it very much, it sounded worst than m01 i owned once . Other models like m10, 20, 30, are louder and have a nicer tone, also there thinks like neck, frets, heel and some small details that are more nicely made on these models. But ofcours they cost more too.
  • sadowsadow ✭✭ Altamira M30 Antique
    I've owned three Altamiras: an MO1, M10, and my current guitar, an M30 Antique. They sounded drier and woodier as I went up the line. The thinner finish on the Antique definitely opens up the sound (this thing is loud), though the varnish is somewhat fragile, especially in the area where a pickguard would go. If that's the trade-off for the livelier sound, I can live with it, and I can always add a pickguard if and when the time comes. The frets seemed pretty soft, I suppose to keep the price down. I recently had Allen Watsky install stainless steel frets, and he also planed the fretboard to improve the neck geometry (he said it was the hardest piece of ebony he ever worked with). When I got it back, the intonation and playability were vastly improved (Allen also did a nice set-up). It was like a different guitar. So unless you find an Altamira from a particularly good day at the factory, don't be surprised if you have to put some extra money into it to get the most out of it. Right now I'm loving it, and those frets should last a long time.
    dm7b5
  • DeuxDoigts_TonnerreDeuxDoigts_Tonnerre Lawrenceville GA USANew Stringphonic #503 Basic, Altamira M30D, Eastman AR810CE, Giannini Craviola
    At the moment I have an Altamira M30D and a Saga Gitane DG-250M. The Altamira is very dry and crunchy, lots of bark. The Gitane DG-250M is a little more "wet" sounding but still loud and has nice rounded tone. The DG-250M has a thin wide neck and feels really nice. The Altamira neck is a bit more chunky and it took me a long time to warm up to it. I already had the Altamira for a few years, but then I bought the Gitane because I found it at one of the big box guitar stores used at a good price, and I really liked how it felt and sounded. Both guitars are very different in tone and feel. I play the Altamira way more than the DG-250M, even though I would prefer the tone to be a bit more rounded. Hope this info helps in your decision.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    LeonP wrote: »
    I tried model M at musicmesse in Germany. I didnt like it very much, it sounded worst than m01 i owned once . Other models like m10, 20, 30, are louder and have a nicer tone, also there thinks like neck, frets, heel and some small details that are more nicely made on these models. But ofcours they cost more too.

That’s strange. I had to go over to my student’s house to compare the model M and the M30. They have identical necks with the exception of the heel where the M is more square. I’ve been to the Altamira offices in Hong Kong and Taipei, and I’ve tried pretty much every single model. They all have the “authentic” gypsy tone and all their necks were pretty much similar from what I remember. Definitely my studen’ts M30 and my M have the exact same neck (with the exception of the heel).

As far sound differences, the M projects more and the M30 is a bit softer in tone. Sound, of course, is subjective so I won’t comment on better or worse, but I will definitely say that all Altamiras have the typical Gypsy Jazz guitar sound as opposed to Gitanes which while nice sounding tend to be a bit more wet and “plastic” sounding (not necessarily in a bad way).

The great thing of the model M is that it’s their cheapest model. Cheaper than every Gitane models and just a little bit prcier than Cigano but significantly better.

I bought one for my homestay students, and I play it all the time. Angelo Debarre liked it when he tried at DiJ. In fact, we’re playing in Hong Kong next year and he might consider playing on it.
    dm7b5LeonP
  • LeonPLeonP New
    Dennis you are no doubt an expert in gypsy guitars. So i might got a wrong impression when trying the new M model. All the altamiras have the gypsy sound yes definately.
    I now own a m10 antique model and i realy like it. The thin finish, nice heel and a thiner neck than m01 model. Nicer bridge and some details that make me like this model more than the new M or m01. But ofcours this two have a better price.
  • fourowlsfourowls Brisbane, Queensland, AustraliaNew Petrarca Grande Bouche
    dennis wrote: »
    LeonP wrote: »

That’s strange. I had to go over to my student’s house to compare the model M and the M30. They have identical necks with the exception of the heel where the M is more square. I’ve been to the Altamira offices in Hong Kong and Taipei, and I’ve tried pretty much every single model. They all have the “authentic” gypsy tone and all their necks were pretty much similar from what I remember. Definitely my studen’ts M30 and my M have the exact same neck (with the exception of the heel).

As far sound differences, the M projects more and the M30 is a bit softer in tone. Sound, of course, is subjective so I won’t comment on better or worse, but I will definitely say that all Altamiras have the typical Gypsy Jazz guitar sound as opposed to Gitanes which while nice sounding tend to be a bit more wet and “plastic” sounding (not necessarily in a bad way).

The great thing of the model M is that it’s their cheapest model. Cheaper than every Gitane models and just a little bit prcier than Cigano but significantly better.

I bought one for my homestay students, and I play it all the time. Angelo Debarre liked it when he tried at DiJ. In fact, we’re playing in Hong Kong next year and he might consider playing on it.

Hi Dennis
    Excuse if I come across like one of those gear snobs (I am not!) but Angelo Debarre (who is one of my GJ heroes!) liked the asian made Altamira? Wow?? Are gypsies and genuine players like Angelo gear conscious? Would he advise people to just get playing and don't worry about how good the guitar is, or would Angelo advise to save a bit to get something a bit better? I guess I am eyeing off a guitar to go with my vintage restored Sonora (whoa..that guitar is soo cool!) and wondering about something like an Altamira or invest in something like a Mateos etc?....well keep up the good work Dennis, I am a fan of yours!
    Regards
    Andrew H

• jeffmatzjeffmatz ChicagoNew
    Re: the Lulo, just for anyone who's never played one--nice guitar, VERY SLIM NECK. Almost like a shred-electric neck.

Re: Altamiras...I'd love to hear any opinions on their DiMauro chorus style...I've watched videos and I love the sound, but watching the demo video here, it seems like the guitar was terribly set up...
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    @jeffmatz yes, that video was almost certainly made with the guitar right out of the box. It’s really just there to give you a sense of how it sounds. Of course, any Altamira we ship to customers would have had several hours of setup work done by our tech Josh first.
  • jeffmatzjeffmatz ChicagoNew
    Thanks Michael, while you're around (and without completely derailing this thread, sorry) would you say the F hole model is a bit more "flat" in response overall? From what I've heard in videos, it seems to have both less bass and treble, but a lovely throaty midrange that would lend it to Djangos music but also American style swing rhythm playing?