DjangoBooks.com

Wearing through the finish (Pickgaurd)?

2»

Comments

• vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M
    I can only speak in regard to the Altamira. And the answer is yes, if your pic catches it, it will scratch and even in your fingernails . The finish is very fragile but the trade-off very worth it, when I get an antique oval hole I will put the clear thin removable pick guard on it first thing . My finish showed signs of wear on the first day of playing it, although I realize everyone’s playing style and technique are a little different, .
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    edited July 2018 Posts: 959
    Bones wrote: »
    I've had no problems on the finish on my Gallatos but they are nitro I think.
    I doubt it. I was told by a reliable source who has been there that the early 'Mateos' Gallatos were made in the same Chinese factory as the Altamiras. When Serge Gallato found out he cut out Mateos and went to China himself, messed up the deal with the Altamira folks (leaving them with a large quantity of Gallato/Debarre branded guitars, which have probably since been sold out the back door) and they are now made in the same factory as Paris Swing guitars. So either way, I doubt there would have been any nitro apart from the first two that were hand made by Mateos.
  • If you want to minimize attachment put down a thin layer of carnauba wax and buff it up
    Buco
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Hey Chris, you may be right but as I recall the description said nitro. It looks like it to me but I'm not sure how to test it without potentially messing it up.
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    Bones wrote: »
    Hey Chris, you may be right but as I recall the description said nitro. It looks like it to me but I'm not sure how to test it without potentially messing it up.
    Well it is possible. I know the accepted story was that he made two copies of Selmer #452 and then made copies for Gallato for two years - 2002 to 2004 - up to number 641 which were supposedly made in Mateos' shop but it seems more believable that as he was short of staff to keep up with the orders, (he was making Spanish and other guitars at the same time) Mateos himself started buying them in. That was the cause of their falling out. But possibly Mateos did make some of the rest, or was buying them in unfinished and doing the final spray and setup himself. Either way it seems both parties have been unwilling to tell the whole story.

• BonesBones Moderator
    edited July 2018 Posts: 3,319
    Yeah no way to know but I've also heard that they had some stuff done in Asia and then final setup in France but no clue about finish. I don't know how to verify what the finish is. BTW, they are great guitars especially for the price and WAY under rated IMHO. Balanced, dry and loud. I guess we have sort of hijacked this thread.