DjangoBooks.com

Long scale to short scale, you thoughts.

2»

Comments

• AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    Width is across the fretboard, usually measured at the nut and where the neck joins the body. Traditionally, D-holes were 12 fret to the body, short scale, with a wide thick neck (46-48 mm at the nut), while the petite bouche are almost always long scale 14 frets to the body, and slightly narrower and thin neck (45mm nut width). Now many D-holes are also made 14 fret long (670mm) scale, and you can get any combination of scale, neck width, neck thickness, and 12 vs 14 frets to the body.
    t-birdPompierBuco
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited July 2018 Posts: 3,319
    Pompier, neck width refers to the width of the fretboard. With a new custom instrument obviously you can make it whatever you prefer in any dimension. I just made mine so it is comfortable for me. I had adjusted to the typical wider, boxier neck profile of the traditional design but once my arthritis kicked in it just got too painful. Needed something easier to grip. It's amazing how just a slight change can make a big difference in comfort.
  • PompierPompier MarylandNew Cigano GJ-15
    I don't understand the appeal of this particular tradition in GJ. My Cigano GJ-15 seems to have a neck on the wider and thicker side. I can point to the extra difficulties this is causing while playing rhythm, but I don't see the benefits. I haven't gotten a chance to play another GJ guitar yet, so I could well be missing something.
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    A short scale and chunky neck does away with the need for a truss rod, making a lighter guitar possible. I find the thicker neck of my DiMauro (but not necessarily quite as *wide* as yours @ 1-7/8") lets my left hand use less grip force when fretting most GJ chords. With a thinner "faster" neck, I need to close my hand tighter to fret the chords. One style of neck I didn't like was the square-shouldered neck on my Dell Arte DG-H1 that made it difficult to use my thumb to fret the low E string.
    PompierBuco
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 3,707
    Across the fretboard is width

Fretboard to back of neck is thickness
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • NejcNejc Slovenia✭✭ Altamira M01
    edited July 2018 Posts: 98
    I think everyone will have a personal preference regarding short and long scale guitars. I have medium size hands and I find quite difficult sometimes to quick change between some chords. On the other hand when I pick my short scale dreadnought guitar (narrow neck) I cant get the chords to sound clear since my fingers are a bit on the wide side.

Soundwise I really love the sound of those short scale GJ guitars. They have somewhat of a more warm pleasant sound to my ears and I find them to be ideal for solo guitar arrangements =)
    AndrewUlleBuco