DjangoBooks.com

Djams in Richmond VA and surrounding areas?

dm7b5dm7b5 New Orleans, LA
in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 24
I know about the Baltimore and DC area communities and activities.

Looking for Djams in Richmond VA and surrounding areas.

Cheers to all and Thank You

Comments

I met a couple from Richmond at DiJ, a husband and wife duo. He's a good player, she's a wonderful singer and amazingly sings everything in original keys while sounding great. They make delicious cocktails, whimsically named like Mango Reinhardt. The only problem is I don't remember their names. I think they call their band something like Cocktail Sticks.
    @Wim Glenn you were jamming together, do you remember their names?
    dm7b5
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • dorkydave1dorkydave1 Richmond VA Altamira M10D
    Hey, I live in Richmond VA and would be happy to get together. We have a couple active GJ groups here (Gypsy Roots and Django Tango), but no Djams that I know of. I do know most of the local GJ players though.
    dm7b5
  • dm7b5dm7b5 New Orleans, LA
    @dorkydave1 - Great! I’ve found a few others interested in djams in the area too. Will send a pm shortly. - Cheers
  • Stamos666Stamos666 New

resurrecting this old thread. i’m also in the area. did any bring come to pass about djams in the RVA area?

• pdgpdg ✭✭

I think that bassist Wells Gordon is in Richmond. Most likely he'd know everything going on in gypsy jazz in the area.

• bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

@Stamos666 - While not Richmond - You should certainly reach out to Rick Olaverez - in Charlottesville. Great player, super nice guy, Goes to Samois a lot - and has been in this music almost as long as me . . lol!

And depending on your travel distance - some folks in the NC area might be worth hitting up (Scot Wise- who got me into the music way back in the way back . . )

B.

• pdgpdg ✭✭

Carrborro (Chapel Hill), NC -- violinist Gabe Pelli (no relation to Grappelli).