DjangoBooks.com

What to do with pianist/good bass tone

13»

Comments

• bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

Such an interesting discussion.

1st thought - thanks to all for so many great recordings!

2nd thought - bastien is beast (and a rather amazing musician - who can play in several styles quite comfortably). Check him out here as well: https://youtu.be/nCgdH2pqUPw (and for a show of versatility https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKrvlLShLW8)

3rd let's not forget about the excellent playing by Jean-yves on Hono's record (& occasionally live) https://youtu.be/ID6biIykxv8

4th So - some small advice (in addition to all the above great advice) - My suggestion is to have them play comping ideas over your more 'straight' rhythm. You two will have to discuss voicings together and agree on what is going on - and work on developing your ears to hear what each other are playing and avoid strong dissonance unless it's intentional and musically sensible). I would avoid trying to play 'la pompe' against a stride player - that could get very hard unless you both agree on the whole thing (bass line, chord voices, and so one) taking away both of your chances to improvise and adjust as an accompanist. The hard part will be when you are trying to solo as a guitarist - if you play strong rhythm and then it drops out - could feel odd in some situations.

Good luck! Sounds like a great chance to develop some very cool music.

• juandererjuanderer New ALD Original, Manouche Latcho Drom Djangology Koa, Caro y Topete AR 740 O
    The resurgence of this thread reminded me that I started replying way back when and sure enough - my reply's draft is still saved. I'm not even sure if the links are still valid or if I was planning on adding more to it before submitting. Anyway...

I'm super biased because I've known Glover for many years and am a huge fan, so:

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica

...same Glover from Tosca Tango?

• juandererjuanderer New ALD Original, Manouche Latcho Drom Djangology Koa, Caro y Topete AR 740 O
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica

Amazing- worlds collide. I found Tosca from the soundtrack to a pretty weird film called "waking life" a while ago and enjoyed the band a lot ... not sure if they're still active at all. Emailed back and forth a little bit, and then got into tango music pretty deep. Decades ago.

The Tosca strings still do their thing. The "tango orchestra" formation would get together every now and then for anniversary shows and special things. Glover retired in December of 2018 due to arthritis making it too painful to play - one of his last shows was with a smaller version of the Tosca ensemble (accordion, bass, piano, and violin - plus vocals). He held a couple of weekly residence gigs for several years until the end - a solo tango one since 2003 or so in Houston (with a singer for the last 5ish years) - I taught a tango dance class before his set and then DJed after it for the final three years or so (was a regular since my move to Houston in 2010).

The other residence was in Austin with 8 1/2 Souvenirs since their reunion in 2014.

He worked on his final album "A Ponzi Scheme" all of that year (2018). The Tosca crew is on there plus other guests. Charlie Sexton produced it.

The Austin ballet was going to perform the program he composed for them back in the day (recorded with Tosca when it was first commissioned) in March of 2020 but that didn't happen because of you-know-what.

Last I spoke with him he had picked up model-plane-making and was excited about having found a book of Chopin pieces for children - that had been the first piano he had played since 2018.

I'll call him this weekend to catch up and see about stopping by to visit on my drive back from Austin on Monday. It's due time.

Random: within the two months after retiring from piano he was invited to sing in a couple of Black Sabbath tribute shows covering the album Paranoid from beginning to end. I caught the last show of that and it was amazing.

Bucowim