DjangoBooks.com

Looking for Constructive Criticism of My Rhythm Playing

13»

Comments

• jeffmatzjeffmatz ChicagoNew
    jpipper17 wrote: »

Is this la pompe any better? Do you still think I need to cut the up stroke out for now, or can I build up on this? Brutal honesty folks.

I don't think it sounds bad, I do think it's a little "long." Sounds like an 8th note pickup to me now...

I think the upstroke in rhythm is very difficult to describe..."grace note" would be the best way to say it.

My first go around with gypsy jazz, I never nailed it, I think. I'm getting closer now...I'll try and post a video for comparison, just for comparison, I don't claim to be a master.

• Brad HermanBrad Herman San Francisco, CANew JWC Modele Jazz, Stankevicius Alena, Alexander Polyakov Selmer #6
    I like this idea of a forum space for feedback. Most people I feel aren't lucky like we are in the Bay Area to have so many great GJ players and instructors. I'd love to see more of this.
  • jpipper17jpipper17 New Saga Cigano GJ-10
    I like this idea of a forum space for feedback. Most people I feel aren't lucky like we are in the Bay Area to have so many great GJ players and instructors. I'd love to see more of this.

Well, I would like thank everyone for their feedback. It is greatly appreciated. I'm going to take what's been mentioned thus far and work on it for a little while. I'll check in at some point for further feedback.

Thanks!

Here's an update. I kinda like the strong roll feel of making each down stroke almost the same dynamic. Adrien moignard describes it in one of his videos. Anyways, I'd love some constructive criticism.

https://youtu.be/C1OB3Ly8WoE

It's good. Only I don't think the 2 and 4 should ever be muted as much. There's still very soft pressure on the strings, not enough to sound a chord but it's not simply muting the strings, at least when it comes to this style of rhythm playing. When you make a chord on both 1/3 and 2/4 that sounds better. That's on the first short listen, I'd have to listen again to dissect more...

jpipper17
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel

I assumed the muting isn't 'right,' for lack of a better term, but I just do that because it really feels good. But the parts where I didnt mute it?

I'm with ya. I've taken the approach of ditching the upstroke for now. It's the decision I've made, but the goal is to get what they have.

• CraigHensleyCraigHensley Maine New Barault

Hi John, I watched your video. First and foremost you need to loosen up your wrist while you're playing. The wrist shouldn't be straight and locked but loose and slightly bent, allowing it the freedom to move.

Second, I highly recommend watching the first 4 minutes of this video over and over until you understand everything.

Yaakov Hoter does a great job explaining and demystifying the complexities of gypsy swing rhythm, especially the elusive "upstroke" everyone talks about. The upstroke is easier to learn when you understand it's actually part of an up-down movement emulating the ride cymbal of a drummer. Think of it as one movement, an up-down stroke. (This requires a loose wrist to execute, which is why you're having difficulty with the upstroke)

The second movement is a quick downstroke, emulating the high hat of a drummer. He explains it all in the first 4 minutes. Super helpful stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq2t-Z7pRxQ