DjangoBooks.com

Ideas on removing very stubborn mustache pieces

2»

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    What's CY? Cyanoacrylate (i.e. super glue?)
  • constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
    Yes
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 959
    Bones wrote: »
    Can u post a picture?

Honestly, I don't think they do anything except aesthetics and add weight in an area where we all try to remove as much weight as possible (bridge). Under string tension the bridge won't move so they aren't necessary to keep the bridge in place. You never see anything like that on an archtop and they have a floating bridge. quote]

Disagree. A floating bridge on an archtop can't move sideways, the string tension combined with the curve of the surface hold it in place. While the centre of the bridge is often raised the flat feet either side usually have a substantial contact area, thus friction.
    Most GJ guitars of the 'SelMac' style have a flat top and often the bridge is hollowed out underneath leaving very little contact area and therefore less friction. This combined with the sometimes very hard right hand attack used in GJ, particularly rhythm players, certainly can cause the bridge to move sideways. I have guitars with and without the moustache side pieces attached and while I agree it would need a vary aggressive picking hand to cause the bridge to move, it certainly can be done.
    Bear in mind in the early 1930s before amplification acoustic guitars were primarily used as rhythm instruments in dance bands and consequently needed to be played hard.
    These movements may be only a matter of millimetres but it would be enough to upset intonation.
    Also, in an early Selmer advertisement of 1932 it stated that the bridge was available in seven different heights according to the player's preference and the end pieces were fixed to enable exact positioning of the bridge if it were to be replaced.
    So either way, they were certainly not just decoration.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited August 2018 Posts: 3,320
    Hmmm, well I don't have a monster right hand but I am a rhythm player and I've never had a bridge move and I have not used the moustaches for years. Besides that, most people don't hammer the strings playing rhythm anyway as that doesn't seem to be the preferred style anymore since soloists generally don't like to play over that. And actually I think you could hammer the tar out of them and it wouldn't move unless you put silicone grease under the feet of the bridge. Personally I don't see the need for the side pieces and prefer not to have unnecessary weight glued right in the middle of the top plate since we try to have the bridge as light as possible for obvious reasons. Just my 2 cents.

Additionally, they typically are not glued on very tight so I don't see how they really provide much security anyway. I've seen them just on with double sticky tape and they sometimes come loose by themselves and buzz/rattle. Take a look at your bridge. Is it resting against the edge of the treble side moustache indicating that the bridge has moved? I doubt it. Or conversely, if it is, next time you change strings make sure there is a little 'tell-tale' gap there before you tension up the strings and then keep an eye on that gap. I bet it never moves.

But hey, it's all good, and if people like the way they look or feel better about it having them there go for it.
    constantine
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Personally speaking I like the look of Moustache ends but that's just me. Each to their own.
    always learning
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Yeah for sure, definitely part of the traditional look and interest of the original design. I have nothing against them aesthetically, it's just that I'm a function dictates form sort of person and if they are not really stabilizing the bridge I'd just rather not have the weight right there. Either way though it's probably a second order effect on volume/tone so it's not a huge deal.
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    Hey Dean - do you happen to have an extra moustache end? I picked up a Cigano to use while my other guitars are in for repair, and it's missing one of the tips. I know it's just for asthetics, but it looks off balance with just one...
  • constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
    I can check when I get home.