DjangoBooks.com

transcribing - the real way to learn?

2»

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    Yeah I've always thought of transcribing as the act of figuring out the notes on the instrument. Whether you write it down or not is another matter. To me what matters is figuring out how it is played.
    MichaelHorowitzPetrov
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    Yeah, I get what the idea is for learning by ear, and a useful tool for all of us, but I was just pointing out the literal meaning of 'transcribing' even though it seems to have taken on a different meaning. Each to his own.
  • I think it important that we all use the same terminology when discussing this. Ear learning is vita.........l transcribing as defined in normal usage is much less so.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • jeffmatzjeffmatz ChicagoNew
    I mean, it's pretty obvious really...if you want to play any kind of jazz, you have to be able to hear it in your head, and then play what you hear...what easier way to get to that point than to do a ton of close listening and in the process, build up an arsenal of sounds you like?
    vanmalmsteenBones