DjangoBooks.com

Listen to unreleased Django Reinhardt recordings from the Savory Collection

Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭
edited September 2018 in Repertoire Posts: 457
On October 2, there will be a listening event at the Jazz Museum in Harlem, "The Unheard Savory: Duke and Django Live" where attendees will be able to hear the unreleased material from the Savory collection. Unfortunately the free tickets are gone, but you can still pay $10 for a normal ticket. Perhaps someone from this community could go and report back what titles there are and if it's any good?

Info:
http://jazzmuseuminharlem.org/events/savory-session-2/
steffoTeddy DupontMichaelHorowitzadrian

Comments

• Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    Sounds interesting. It quotes a "jam" rather than a performance. Not sure what that really means.
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl
    Any update on this Savory material?
    I'm passing through NY and wondering whether I should go by the museum again to check if they have new stuff available.
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    Noooo! Why didnt I see that message?

But anyway I already heard them before but it would have been cool to do it collectively.
    However I am pretty sure there is nothing new: they are working on the collection to make it widely available but they already know what is in it
  • sbrigersbriger New
    https://www.savoryjazz.org/blog/
    You can hear a pretty long solo from Django in the podcast at around 11:30 in.
    MichaelHorowitzBonesBucowimadriannomadgtrBillDaCostaWilliams
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited October 2018 Posts: 3,319
    Well, that cut sounds totally fresh and valid to me today. Can you imagine how it must have sounded to an audience in 1946? Honeysuckle Rose?
    Bucoadrian
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited October 2018 Posts: 1,454
    Listen @12:15 so Django invented "Djent" metal style 70 years early .. makes sense actually :)
    Buco
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited October 2018 Posts: 3,319
    Love it! What are those chords that he's playing at 12:15?
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    I don't have my guitar with me to check but my guess is F#7#9. Have heard Django doing a similar heavy metal chord thing on another recording of honeysuckle, except he put it over the B section. Can't find it now since the 30's recording is so ubiquitous.. :(

Related: chicago 1946 bootleg, maybe a remastered version of the same performance (not sure which sounds better..) and this fragment which Teddy Dupont posted 7 years ago..
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Yeah could be. I was guessing this

x
    x

but could be the F#7#9

x
    x

I need to be able to figure out a way to get that clip into a looper/slow downer to really work on it. Hard to do it with that podcast player
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    Here's a direct link to the podcast MP3, for downloading.

Adrian
    Bucowim