DjangoBooks.com

Composing

Comments

• ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    post an example, it is a bit of a riddle at this point.

• cbwimcbwim ✭✭✭
    Get DC Music School's "In the Style of Bireli Lagrene" and see Bireli describe his "etude" style of improvising and composing on the spot, using influences from elsewhere. I like to play and improvise in this style (my hands have too much arthritis from 36 years making musical instruments to play the fast stuff).

If you want a more classical approach to composition I highly recommend the new book Composition - Craft and Art by Alan Belkin.
    BonesElí Saúl
  • cbwimcbwim ✭✭✭
    Also, another great resource is Benjamin Givan's "The Music of Django Reinhardt" available here on DjangoBooks. He takes a formulaic approach to describing the specific elements and overall structure to Django's music. His numerous examples (all in standard notation) are well-referenced to the specific Integrale recordings.
    Elí Saúl
  • Elí SaúlElí Saúl Toluca, Mexico.New Dell'Arte DG-H2
    That's interesting, I'll take a look at them.

Uhm, I'll post some examples when I get a chance to tape them. Maybe someone can give insight.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts!
    Hello, well I finally came up with an idea for a tune.

Honestly it's kind of weird, it starts with a kind of hemiola driven by accents while contrabass does something i though of as a cantus firmus.

The melody it's based upon that idea, i havent recorded it with instruments yet. i haven rehearsed with my trio but hopefully in a few weeks it's ready for recording.

I wanted to share it with you all, this midi recording sounds odd but it gives the general idea. Maybe some feedback? would be nice. :)

The midi is basically the intro and the head as if it was played for outro.
    BucoBones
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 4,742
    Eli, I keep waiting to find time for a more detailed reply but it's not coming up...so, in short I like it but the only part I felt needs something else is when you go to that first A section, I guess it would be called that. When you finish the introduction with those arpeggios, which sounds good, then the next section opens and keeps the mostly the same arpeggio melody, at that point I thought it needs a fresh melody instead and then the second half of that section doesn't flow in a natural way, doesn't gel together that well.
    The second half of the song is great, I like it a lot!
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    Thanks for the insights! i been thinking about something similar too, i might give it a rest a few days and try to see what i can do. The part with the triplets i thought it for another instrument, it didnt work that much for guitar, maybe ill try something else.

however it might take a while before it even gets to rehearsal, seems like my group might enter a hiatus :/ will be very difficult to play with anyone.
    Hello, i'd like to share one of my most recents compositions "Mélodie à l'aube".

It has some mistakes, we had been in a hiatus for some time but it came out like this, i hope you like it. Greetings from México.

richter4208JoseBucoBones
    im laughing my ass off bc my face looks kind of creepy on the thumbnail xD
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    Catchy tune. A slightly less dry pump would be nicer and would fill more behind the solist imo.
    Elí Saúl