DjangoBooks.com

Direct Recording Tips Requested

pmgpmg Atherton, CANew Dupont MD50R, Shelley Park Custom, Super 400, 68 Les Paul Deluxe, Stevie Ray Strat
I recently purchased a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 recording interface and am using Reaper as my DAW on a PC. I am getting OK but not great sounds through directly recording my Gibson L5 over backing tracks into my PC and would appreciate any tips from those of you with more home recording experience. I started with a simple Fender Tweed amp sound that was standard on Reaper and played around with tone settings to get it into the right tonal ball park. I have been unable to find any decent jazz guitar plug-ins for Reaper however. Appears most plug-ins for direct guitar recording are for rockers.

I have also tried recording my Dupont MD50 using a Rode NT1000 and it also sounded OK - but not great.

I also tried placing a Presonus TubePre in front of the Scarlett to warm up the sound a bit - but it did not noticeably improve the final mix.

Advice and suggestions much appreciated!!!
I'm always interested in jamming with experienced jazz and gypsy jazz players in the San Francisco - San Jose area. Drop me a line. Bass players welcome!

Comments

• JonJon melbourne, australiaProdigy Dupont MD50B, '79 Favino
    I know you said in your subject line that you want advice on direct recording, but you'll get much better results with both electric and acoustic guitars - in my opinion - getting a decent mic. Electric guitar will be a bit more forgiving in this respect if you already have a good amp sound, but you don't have to spend top dollar to get something that sounds good if you have particular applications in mind. I know some people swear by impulse responses and cabinet simulators etc, but I've never been able to come close with them to the sound of a good mic in front of a good guitar. You've got great guitars.

Miking gypsy jazz guitars can be an interesting affair. The sound changes so drastically depending on where the mic is placed. My current go to setup for my MD50B is (stolen from Andre at Studio LDC) a ribbon mic and a small diaphragm condenser about a hands length from the 14th fret (out front), then mix them to taste. I've had great results with just a Shure SM81 in roughly that position too (it adds some nice midrange that makes the guitars sound a little less brittle. Takes a lot of positioning experimentation though.

Good luck!
    Buco