DjangoBooks.com

Transcribing Django - Free lesson :-)

dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
edited December 2018 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 2,161
Yo! If any of you ever wondered how to transcribe Django and get something useful out of it for improvisation, I talk a little a bit about my process here. You can also download the PDF! it's Django's solo on Swing 39 from the Rome sessions

http://denischang.com/index.php/2018/10/27/the-art-of-transcribing-part-5/
vanmalmsteenBucoLeftyKevanMichaelHorowitzswiesslerBonesPetrovgeese_comBillDaCostaWilliams

Comments

• Feruza2134Feruza2134 The NetherlandsNew Phoenix D hole guitar
    exactly what i needed dennis thanks a lot!
  • vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M
    Nice!
  • swiesslerswiessler NorCalNew Dupont MD20,Gibson L5,Bumgarner F hole(DiMauro type)
    Thank you Denis! What a generous lesson!
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Wow, thanks Dennis!
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 4,754
    I think in the bars 43/44 you were on the right track the first time, only I think I heard also notes on the 5th and 6th strings:
    It sounds so fat, I love it.
    As you can see I was bored this morning :)
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    You could be right! I could’ve done it with more accuracy if there was a guitar around and if i hadn’t been lazy about it. I have the integrale on a hard drive somewhere and i could have just imported it into transcribe and isolated that chord and done some EQ.

There’s definitely at least 4 notes and as i said in the video, even with 3-4 notes it still seemed like it was missing something beefy
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 4,754
    It's very, very impressive that you did it by ear without instrument. When you mentioned it first time I was like "what!?!".
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503
    @dennis

Later on in the video, you talk about Django primarily using 5 shapes. Do you have any other info on that topic? It would be interesting to explore.

Thanks!