DjangoBooks.com

Short Scale 14 Frets Guitar

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    edited November 2018 Posts: 6,153
    @tomdc this Altamira model has a 650mm scale: http://www.djangobooks.com/Item/altamira-m01d-12-fret
  • tomdctomdc Hudson Valley New York New
    Thanks, Michael, this could be the one. Just to double check the Altamira website and this page on your site list the M01D at 670 mm scale. http://www.djangobooks.com/Item/altamira-m01d
    Also the “size” listed at 15 7/8 is that the lower bout? Thanks.

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    And it is a 12 fret join, not 14 as you originally asked.
    @tomdc the model I linked to is the M01D 12 fret, not the regular M01D. The M01D 12 fret has a 650mm scale.
  • tomdctomdc Hudson Valley New York New
    Michael, ok I get it now the one you are recommending is a 12 fret whereas the ones I mentioned are 14 frets.

Chris, Yes, I was originally asking about 14 but it doesn’t seem like there are any factory produced models. So I can certainly live with a 12.
    edited November 2018 Posts: 6,153
    @tomdc yes, I know you were originally looking for a 14 fret short scale. But then you asked if there were any Altamiras with a short scale which is why I pointed out the M01D 12 fret which does have the shorter scale.

With that said, I've had literally hundreds of customers over the years coming into this style who where scared off by the longer scale of conventional Selmer guitars, and like you, spent a lot of time looking for the unusual configuration of short scale Selmer with a 14 fret neck. However, nearly all of them found after a small adjustment period, the longer scale really isn't any harder to play and has many sonic benefits, most notably stronger single note projection.

If you where playing advanced cord melody stuff (like Johnny Smith with 7 fret stretches) or classical, then the long scale would definitely make things difficult, but for most of the stuff you play in Gypsy jazz, it doesn't make too much of a difference.

thanks,

'm
    Buco
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Tom, actually, now that I think about it I may have a guitar that I never use that would fit your criteria. I have a Patenotte (French luthier) that has about a 645mm scale, 14 fret, slightly slimmer neck. If you are interested I can send pics. $900 plus shipping with hard case.
    Buco
  • IMO jump on that one if Bones will sell.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    I second that Patenotte, I had one a few years back, light weight, easy to play very nice 'lively' tone.
    I still think these are the 'secret bargains' of the French manufacturers (possibly just because there is no Catania/Sicilian/Italian name or connection?) and that is a decent price.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Yeah Jay, it's actually a great instrument. Finish is near mint condition. Shows very little playing wear. No dinks or cracks. Great tone and mojo. Not as loud as my Gallatos but more personality in the tone. Much more comfy with the short scale and the user friendly neck profile. I just never play it. Too many guitars.