DjangoBooks.com

Tonewood Mystery

Hello!

Recently, I've been in touch with a seller of a manouche guitar, unfortunately he doesn't know anything about the back and sides. Anyways, he sent me a picture of the back, but I'm not quite sure of which wood it is made...

It would be great, if someone of you could recognize the wood for certain.

Kind regards!

Comments

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    I don't know much about Marc Delie but this exact one sold for 840Euros at Guitare Village near Paris. It says it was a 2004 model. Maybe a call to them might reveal more info.
    http://www.guitare-village.com/occasion/jazz/jazz_517.php
  • baenjobaenjo New
    Thank you, I contacted them!
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
    Padauk, perhaps
  • That would get my vote too.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Joshl-mJoshl-m New
    Sapele, maybe
  • cbwimcbwim ✭✭✭
    Bubinga maybe? It doesn't look like Sapele which has more chatoyancy. Is it heavy or light feeling weight-wise?
  • baenjobaenjo New
    cbwim wrote: »
    Bubinga maybe? It doesn't look like Sapele which has more chatoyancy. Is it heavy or light feeling weight-wise?

I've never tried it, so I can't comment on it's weight...
  • looks like santos rosewod, also caled pau ferro
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 3,707
    I looked through my Real Wood Bible and all 4 suggestions have some merit.

in order to determine would need a good close up about a foot away. need to see the grain

colour is closest to Sapele but grain patterns are odd.

If its a handbuilt Pau Ferro eats tools and is actually not a Rosewood (genus Dalbergia) but is genus Caesalpinia.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed