DjangoBooks.com

Django, Meet Pixinguinha

AndrewLawrenceAndrewLawrence Northampton, MA✭✭
Hi Folks:
I hope Michael won't mind if I plug my new project one time here on the Djangobooks forum. After all, the links between the choro and Gypsy jazz traditions are already close and getting closer all the time.

I fell in love with jazz manouche some 20 years ago and after a couple trips to France decided to start Django in June. The rest is, as we say, history.

Since meeting my now-wife, Flávia, and having made a few trips to her home country of Brazil, I've taken another, similar fall. So here we go again! One could produce ten camps devoted to different Brazilian musical traditions – but I propose we start with this one: o choro.

Choro Camp New England proposes to do for choro what Django in June has done for Gypsy jazz here in the US. After all, North American students of choro face many of the same frustrations as students of jazz manouche: it's challenging music, expert guidance is hard to find, and there are probably few folks nearby to play with. 

We can help. Choro Camp New England will provide chorões an opportunity to meet one another, work with real experts, and play to their heart's content. We'll have instructional tracks for 6 and 7 string guitar, all manner of melodic instruments, cavaquinho, mandolin/bandolim, accordion and pandeiro. With housing and meals on site, once you're here, you've got nowhere else to go. Participants will head home with new repertoire, new understanding, and new connections – all of which will help them keep the roda going back home.

The big challenge of a new event is finding the folks who might be interested. So if you'd like to see this project succeed, please help get the word out to people in your social circle. You can learn all about the event and join our mailing list right here: chorocamp.com

Whether at Django in June or Choro Camp New England, I look forward to making beautiful music with you this summer!

~Andrew
Django in June: June 10-16, Northampton, MA
Choro Camp New England: June 24-30, Northampton, MA
MichaelHorowitzmandolinmountain

Comments

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited February 2019 Posts: 1,454
    I was worried it would overlap with Samois but it looks like they are keeping that to July now.

Yes! Exciting stuff, Andrew. I am enjoying those videos on the artists pages.

Can I nominate Messias Britto for a future cavaco instructor, this guy is on fire! (and look, he holds the pick just the same way as Sébastien Giniaux does..)

• AndrewLawrenceAndrewLawrence Northampton, MA✭✭
    Nice, Wim! Nominations are always welcome :)
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
    edited February 2019 Posts: 599
    I've got Ximbinho's choro "Ternura" as a tune I've been trying to introduce to the hot club jam session: I feel it could work well in a Gypsy Bolero [edit: not 'bossa'] style.

p.s. there's a Choro workshop that's been running annually for about 10 years in Port Townsend, Washington.
    No idea if that's anywhere near you in Northampton ;-)

AndrewLawrence
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    Yes! The world is a better place with more Andrew Lawrence-produced music instructional camps! =)
    AndrewLawrence
  • AndrewLawrenceAndrewLawrence Northampton, MA✭✭
    edited February 2019 Posts: 56
    Choro has been part of the jazz manouche repertoire for a long time. Here's Fapy covering a well-known choro from Paulinho da Viola, Choro Negro.
    (My embed failed, but AndyW succeeded below. Good save Andy!) :)
    AndyW
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 4,730
    AndyW wrote: »
    I've got Ximbinho's choro "Ternura" as a tune I've been trying to introduce to the hot club jam session: I feel it could work well in a Gypsy Bolero [edit: not 'bossa'] style.

Funny, that's the song we did with my band a couple of times. Clarinet played the melody and I used a fingerstyle pattern as you would on Nature Boy or Black Orpheus. It's a beautiful song.
    AndyW
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.

what's the instrument Fapy is using on this choro?
    sounds like a Portuguese guitarra?
    [ I listen to a LOT of fado, choro not so much ]
  • quitos52quitos52 New
    According to the liner notes for the album” Fleur D’ Ennui”, he plays guitarra on four songs. Choro Negro is one of them
  • Seems a great idea. I take the opportunity to share with you a version of Carinhoso by Pixinguinha that we made with our group Scaramouche.https://facebook.com/Scaramouchequartet/

I wonder if Fapy uses standard guitar tuning or one of the Portuguese guitarra tunings?