DjangoBooks.com

Roch Lockyer Sitting In With Skyline Hot Club

jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F

Roch Lockyer sat in with Skyline Hot Club last night in Santa Cruz. The other guitarist, Kevan Smedt, studies with Roch, and was telling me what a great teacher Roch is. I had heard of him, but wasn't crazy about his disc, When Frank (Sinatra) Met Django. But last night, he played like one of the world's best players. His swinging le pompe was as good as I have ever heard and his lead playing combined gypsy jazz with elements of modern jazz. He played great chromatic chord runs, super fast octaves, interesting well timed discordant harmonics and chords, with an overall incredible sense of rhythm and timing. He matched the clarinetist, whom never seems to lack for notes in a solo, note for note in unison playing as well as in trading licks. The clarinetist, a phenomenal soloist in his own right, kept shaking his head in disbelief at the excellent guitar work. Roch was playing a Dupont Busato Royale with a magnetic pickup, and it sounded incredible. I'll definitely give When Frank Met Django another listen. He will be playing around San Jose and Los Gatos for a few more days, and you should try to see him if possible. Check out Skyline Hot Club on Facebook and Roch @ http://www.rochlock.com/

Schedule for this week 5/28/19 at Gardino’s in Los Gatos and 5/30 Thursday at Dio Deka in Los Gatos.

MichaelHorowitzLeftyKevanScoredogrudolfochristroch@rochlockyer.com

Comments

• jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F

There is a chance to organize a workshop Sat. afternoon after 5:00 PM with Roch if anybody in the SF Bay area is interested. Please let me know so I can forward the info to Kevan and Roch. I'm assuming it will be in Los Gatos.

LeftyKevan
  • LeftyKevanLeftyKevan New DuPont mc-10g, Eastman PG1, D’Angelico NY2
    edited May 2019 Posts: 10

John,

thanks so so much for the support

If folks want to text me their interest (4083550731) I can give them further details, price address times and such.

many thanks!

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator