DjangoBooks.com

Concert Django at the Normandie Oct 1940

PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
in History Posts: 426

Hello

I would like to share with you the article I wrote (in French for now, sorry...) about the series of concerts Django gave at the Normandie cinema/music hall. Important concerts because they were the first ones with the new Quintette and because he became famous almost overnight.

I tried to dig a little deeper than what we can read in Django's biographies. IMO it is important to know what was the concert like, how was the theater, what was the audience etc. to understand how Django music was perceived.

Hope you enjoy the reading (lots of pics too, some sound and an english dissertation in the links)

Pierre

PS I am in the process of translating the whole website, it just takes time (and dedication, it is more boring to translate old articles than writing new ones).

BucoMichaelHorowitzwimBillDaCostaWilliamsPetrov

Comments

This is incredible Pierre. Google does a great job translating in this case for some reason. As I started reading I didn't have to decipher the true meaning of what the software wrote, everything was straight forward although I didn't finish reading yet but am looking forward to it. The theater looked phenomenal.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

Brilliant - many thanks!

Like Buco says, I found the Google translation painless.

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

Thanks for that, an interesting window into the past. And note, the Quintette only played for 30 minutes, but you did get acrobats and propaganda films for your ticket price; you don't get that with the Birelis and Stochelos! Thanks also for introducing me to Fréhel, long a fan of Baker, Mistinguett and Piaf, and even the best of the current generation; Patricia Kaas, I had never heard of that one, so l Iooked her up on iTunes. Learn something new every day on here !

• PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭

Thanks for your comments and support! Good to know that even the French version can be read by non native speakers :)

And Frehel is great. I think the reason she is still so admired is that there is something true in her voice, likea good jazz player, she seems to sing her soul.

Thanks for doing that. Fun read.

• JojoJojo London UK

I've not done a side-by-side comparison of this text but in the past I've used Deepl for a smoother automatic translation

Buco