DjangoBooks.com

Advice on my first trip to Festival Django Reinhardt?

2»

Comments

• djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    edited January 2020 Posts: 1,018

@Ian Stenlund I will be going to Samois 2020 this year also (for my 3rd visit). Not totally sure yet how involved I will be since I wont be bringing a guitar and last time I went, I had more fun seeing gypsy jazz in the city. When I was there in 2015, I think there was gypsy jazz like 4 nights a week.

I read through Denis's post: https://www.djangobooks.com/blog/samois-festival-guide/ . I totally think it would have been really helpful if I had read that before I went, but I still did ok. Denis totally highlighted a few things that happened to me and I learned the hard way.

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Not my first trip to Samois, but would be my first in about 18 years. A lot has changed since then. I was just looking at the Festival Django Reinhardt website, and it only shows about 5 acts over the 4 days, of which the only real GJ feature looks like Bireli and Friends. Is that really it? Just one main act each night, with no smaller stages or other names? Or is it just too early right now to determine the lineup? When it was on Ile de Berceau, it seemed like there were about 5-7 acts per day starting in the early afternoon and running through until late.

If that is it, any intel on unofficial concerts in Samois yet? When are people typically in Samoreau?

Buco

Nice going man, lucky. I thought though in recent years the official festival is less appealing than everything else that's going on in the village and the campsites.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • littleknickylittleknicky Sweden

Looks like they haven't announced the lineup for the in-town concerts in Samois-sur-seine yet.

The website is looking surprising more informative than it has in the past, they will announce it here eventually:

They also have a Facebook page, which seems to have more updated info:

So actually, it looks like Romane et family among others.

People start arriving at Samoreau a week or two before the busy weekend. It slowly grows leading up to the weekend, where many arrive on the Thursday or Friday and it becomes much more hectic. Not necessarily in a bad way. They have expanded the camping out to the banks, which feels a bit disorganized, but i think it is great as they don't have to turn people away.

billyshakesBuco