DjangoBooks.com

GJ Fake Book showing chord voicings similar to Robin Nolan's and Paul Meader's Gig Book?

2»

Comments

• Another thing to consider is finding the Mickey Baker books and going through Volume 1, which is pretty much chord moves with shapes and fingerings. It covers a lot of ground and shows ways to get through basic progressions that are pretty common in this style. Some of the large chords may not be that practical all the time, but you can extrapolate what you need.

• BonesBones Moderator

I have the Mickey Baker book and others for sale

• bohemewarblerbohemewarbler St. Louis, MO✭✭✭✭ Jordan Wencek No.26, Altamira M01D-12 fret
    edited January 2020 Posts: 243

@Andrew Ulle That's an example of what I'm talking about. I do remember coming across that website and also how difficult it was to get back to the homepage so as I couldn't find it anymore. I figured it left the universe. Thanks!

• geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503

I totally forgot that I had this from the Rosenberg Academy. It is called the "Gypsy Jazz Real Book". This sounds like what you might be looking for. They are individual pdf files of each song with chord boxes next to the chord names above the music.

• mac63000mac63000 Tacoma, WANew Geronimo Mateos Jazz B

I'll give a nod to these books. Yes they are out of print but just by googling the titles I was able to find PDFs pretty quickly. Loads of tunes.

https://guitarejazzmanouche.com/grilles/ is something I've referenced for years when I have a phone or computer nearby.

Stringswingerrudolfochrist
  • bohemewarblerbohemewarbler St. Louis, MO✭✭✭✭ Jordan Wencek No.26, Altamira M01D-12 fret

Just had a quick look at Gypsy Jazz Real Book from the Rosenberg Academy. Fantastique! I greatly appreciate everyone's suggestions.

geese_com
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    edited April 2020 Posts: 1,018

There is a guy in Germany that sells some PDF books online that are similar to the Cosimini books. His name is Bertino Rodman (jazzmanouche.de). I've only seen a few pages from them, not the entire books. I was too afraid of buying from his site since the shopping cart looks homemade.

I would agree that the Cosimini books are really useful since they teach you the possibilities of chord voicings in this genre. I also highly recommend them. I own all 4 of them and they have been priceless to me.

Stringswinger
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole

I bought Bertinos book. It's got loads of material but I had trouble reading it due to the font used and the guitar in the background on every page. Also the pdf is not editable and, if I remember correctly, is not printable. I had the Colin Cosimini books years ago but didn't like his choice of chord voicings. However that was early on in my gypsy jazz "career" maybe if I read them now I might appreciate them more.

always learning
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited April 2020 Posts: 1,454

I want to second the recommendation from Gian. ☝️ I think this is the best thing out there at the moment, a lot of care has been put into the chord choices.

geese_comBillDaCostaWilliams