DjangoBooks.com

D'Addario Humidification System

Hi All,

I have the D'Addario humidication packs for my acoustic instruments, but the petite bouche has a small soundhole compared to a normal flattop. I am able to get the packs in the soundhole with a bit of maneuvering, but I'm wondering if anyone else here are using them? I live in the NE United States, and run our furnace from Novemberish-Aprilish each year. The guitars are kept in their cases. I run a humidifier in the room and it's usually about 45% RH in the room.

Am I being overly paranoid about putting the packs in the guitar?

Comments

I thought 45 percent is right where it should be. Room humidity can drop to 20s but as long as I keep the guitar inside the case with the damp-it, no problem.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL

That's my understanding as well, thanks Buco. I have had the same humidipaks in my flattop for a year and they haven't needed replacing, which I suspect is due to where I keep the humidity in the room, and that the guitars are kept in cases.

The Eastman DM1 I purchased only came with a gigbag, which I'm sure isn't as robust at keeping humidity and temperature as consistent as a HSC. Eventually I'll get a better case for the guitar. I'm honestly surprised Eastman isn't shipping these with hardshell cases, while they do with similarly priced flattops.

• edited February 2020 Posts: 4,730

That's too bad, they have really nice hard cases for their archtops. But I wouldn't think a decent gig bag would not do any worse then a hardcase at preserving humidity. My thinking is as long as the wood isn't in a direct contact with dry air it'll do fine in a gig bag.

JSanta
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited February 2020 Posts: 3,319

Yeah keep the room at 45-50%RH and you can just put the packet in the case if it's a tight fit???

JSanta

I can probably just do that and really not worry about it otherwise.

I think I'm just being paranoid.

• BonesBones Moderator

PS- don't store the case near a window or exterior wall.

Always good advice :)

I still think I'd like to get a HSC for this guitar eventually. I'll probably take the humidipaks out of the soundhole, keep one in the bag, and make sure my humidifier is going.