DjangoBooks.com

My band recording “Micro” with Zoom Recorders

bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
in Recording Posts: 513

My band “The Triplets of Grubville” has recorded using 3 Zoom recorders, allowing for Good separation, easy mixing, and a nice sounding Demo recording. And done on the cheap.

2 Zoom H2n

1 Zoom H4n

Reaper software for mixing.

terrassierScoredoggeese_comJSantaBucoPetrovMichaelHorowitzrudolfochristbillyshakesBonesand 5 others.

Comments

Wow!!!

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503

Sounding good!

• PetrovPetrov ✭✭

Nice!

This is a really, really good recording. You guys are super tight too. But I didn't expect the recording to be this good. Still a great sense of room and acoustic performance but the instruments are sounding so clean and true to itself.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

And I'm jealous for those shoes! Great recording, guys.

• bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4

@Buco - stereo 90deg setting for each, rejects side sounds great, even when sitting close together.

These H2N recorders are cheap ($169 on Amazon), and are flexible.

The above mic settings are one side of the device, and the opposite side can record side/mid combinations simultaneously.

Buco
  • casscass Pennsylvania New AJL XO, DuPont MD100, Gitane DG255

Sounds Great!

• AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.

I had just assumed you'd get phase problems with non-synced audio tracks.

• richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭

Nice recording Bopster. Since you have a H4 I kinda don't get using 3 separate recorders when you have several inputs for mics on the H4. Maybe you just like the sound of these onboard mics on the zooms? Or maybe you all just already owned these? I have a zoom h6 and if I was to do this kind of recording I'd use the stereo mic on the zoom and then an individual mic each instrument. But of course I don't own 3 zooms so I never thought of your approach. Anyway nice recording there.

• bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4

@AndyW I sync 2 at a time by panning one stereo track hard left and another hard right. Nudge one left or right until you hear no delay and you are set. Do the same for the third track, syncing with one of the two you just finished.

@richter4208 - I need each Zoom’s cadre of onboard mics, and so the H4 won’t let me plug 2 stereo recorders in and also use its onboard mics in 4 track mode. It’s so much easier to set the levels and pickup patterns on each one, and sync them up later on the home computer.

Bucorichter4208t-bird