DjangoBooks.com

Books for the absolute beginner

icukericuker New
in Technique Posts: 8

Any suggestions for real basic beginning books for Gypsy Jazz. I can read a little notation but I am slow at it. I can play the Mickey Baker chords just fine as well as Freddie Green style chords. I'd like to learn some of the songs and technique combined.

Thanks.

Comments

• geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503

These are not books, but they are for beginners to this style Two beginner GJ guitar courses from @dennis.

https://www.soundslice.com/users/DenisChang/courses/

adrianbillyshakesKlausUS
  • richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020 Posts: 518

I'd skip the books all together. Spend a few weeks learning from Robin Nolan thru his youtube website. He'll show you the chord shapes to several basic tunes as well as coach you thru the techniques. He has a way of drawing you in and keep things fun. Really that is his primary mission. https://www.youtube.com/user/GypsyJazzSecrets

I also like Denis Chang's stuff as well as Geese pointed out above. Start there imo.

billyshakes
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore

Gypsy Picking by Michael Horowitz along with Robin Nolans play along books is where I would start.

MichaelHorowitzbillyshakes
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

Another vote for Robin Nolan, both for his books and the Youtube lessons.

billyshakes
  • BonesBones Moderator
  • stuologystuology New

Angelo Debarre’s Gypsy Guitar - The Secrets by Sammy Daussat and Denis Roux is very good for the beginner.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gypsy-Guitar-Secret-Swing/dp/0707006244

• BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

Depends a bit on your learning style. For me the R Nolan books were the most accessible initially although I also bought the first two Angelo/Daussat books and found them ideal as a next step. (Volume 3 in the set devoted to waltzes is great too but not for beginners I think)

Both sets come with CDs which is helpful if you're not a great reader.

• icukericuker New

Thanks for the suggestions. I can look at the online stuff first.

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

Those Gypsy Guitar Secrets books are available on this site too, it is possibly a tad ungrateful to Michael who hosts this forum to link to the competition don't you think?

MichaelHorowitzStringswingerTDogKlausUS
  • stuologystuology New

Thank you Chris for taking the trouble to write your condescending post, it reminds me why I so rarely post on the internet. I'm outta here.