DjangoBooks.com

Djangojazz - Manouche Picks correspondence?

Coming back after a long, long time away. Challenges ahead, but miss it so will take it slowly and see what happens.

I just bought a "Nous'che" Manouche Pic in 4mm, from a source in Germany. I exchanged with Jokko and see you can buy directly from him as well.

I have looked through the Djangojazz pics on this site, and thought they looked very similar. I understand they are the same company.

Does anyone have any sort of descriptions of the different Djangojazz models, or a sort of correspondence to the Manouche Pics models? E.g., is the

Djangojazz Model E the same as the Manouche Picks "Romino"?

The model C the Nous'che?

I love rhythm and don't have the ability to play any kind of lead due to a pronounced neuro thing. So looking for some nice, swishy, sweet sounds. I know it's the hands and not the pick, but it would be nice to find a few favorites. I have a Wegen button from Michael here, and always used Wegen 3.5's, fatones, rounded side.

Thanks all.

-Paul

-Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
jonpowl

Comments

Paul!! Great to see you back man. Jokko is always changing things so you never know. But I think what you're looking for is either Romino or Giovanni. Those are also my favorite shapes too.

PS still have and use that Para DI

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭

Hey Buco, great to see you man! Really glad to hear the Para DI has worked out well for you all these years. I'd love to hear you.

Thanks on the info. It looks like on Michael's site the Djangojazz carries the Romino, but I didn't see any Giovanni type - given the surface holes, wondering if the Giovanni corresponds to the Model G ("Jokko"). Do you happen to know?

I have the Nous'che coming from Germany, didn't even realize they were the same company until this morning so will get a couple from Michael here.

Probably a dumb question, but what's the difference between the regular pics and the "ivory" versions - is the regular delrin and the ivory versions "ivoroid?" Differences in sound, playability, etc.?

Nice to see you man. Hope you're doing great.

-Paul

but what's the difference between the regular pics and the "ivory" versions - is the regular delrin and the ivory versions "ivoroid?"

I wouldn't know the answer to that better than how is the world economy look like in the next two years. He's constantly changing and experimenting. I have somewhere here attempted to answer that but it could already be outdated...if I find I'll post a link. I also couldn't find a clear shot of the model G shape, the one that Michael has here is shot at an angle so it's hard to tell. My feeling is that Giovanni is yet blunter tip than model G but I don't really know. Jokko will probably answer if you get in touch, either email or through Facebook. I do have one of his Ivory replica picks. I can see it being somebody's favorite pick but I only use it occasionally. I prefer softer tone and this one on the other side of the road. He seems to have attempted to standardize his offerings as far as models and materials. But for example he's been talking up his new cotton fiber material but he offers it mixed with few other materials so I still don't know which to get once I decide to order. I'll probably ask him to clarify when it comes time. I like to order directly from him because he's willing to make small custom changes like holes or no holes, dimple or none etc...in whichever shape you're getting.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel

OK, thanks for all the info, as well as the background info giving context, Buco. I have the Nous'che in 4mm coming from Germany before I knew Jokko sold direct, so have queried him on a couple (thanks for your rec's. Both the Giovanni and Romino look stellar. I've had trouble holding on to a pic for years so dimpling is nice to have, too).

Happy playing man. Hope to see you around!

Paul

-Paul

• bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4

Paul has returned!!! Great news.

Buco
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Hey Paul,

I recognized your profile picture/name and remembered you from the past. (I always note folks from WI since I'm originally from there.) Welcome back and see you around.

-Bill

Hey man! Really great to see you again! Been a lot of years. Can't imagine where you are in your playing these days. Hopefully we can see each other again, haven't been to the GJ fest in a few years, now.

Thanks for the nice welcome, buddy. Hope you (and everyone here) are safe and staying well.

Paul

-Paul

Hey Bill, yep, still here. The GJ jam group I started after Django Camp (god, what year was it) is still going strong, and with Chris Ruppenthal and Harmonious Wail the music is still alive here. I hope to get back in once my hands come back together, at least a bit.

Thanks for the note of welcome. I'd hoped there were still folks around from "back then" and this has been really nice y'all.

geese_com
    -Paul

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

with Chris Ruppenthal and Harmonious Wail the music is still alive here.

Sims and the Wail played at my wedding many years back in Green Lake. Love their music and I see they've done a great thing with the Midwest Gypsy Swing Fest out at the farm. That looks like a neat event and I'd love to attend one day if I'm in the state.

Hope your hands continue to play nice for you.

The farm is awesome. I'm friends with Alfonso Ponticelli and he usually plays, along with folks from farther away (I'd recommended Olli Soikkelli to Sim, and he came out. I met Olli at Django in June). My fondest memory is probably the 2nd year, where I tented, pretty brutally cold, but it didn't matter because there was like 30 of us around the fire playing until 5:00 am or so. Just a blast. It would be great to go again.

Wonderful Sims and Maggie played at your wedding - belated congratulations! Hope to cross your path - btw, looked a bit and I did see Mark Kunkel posted on your page.....is your group, then, the same as the one I started 2012 or so? Mark, Simon, Kate, etc.? Miss those guys. Look forward to seeing your jam.

Paul

-Paul