DjangoBooks.com

Improving my Gitane D500, Altamira? M10 or...?

Hi guys,

I have a gitane D500, and I want to improve it, I am looking for a 14 frets for soling, and for a guitar with a comfortable neck (I come from elecetric guitars and archtops).

I suffered from tendinitis so I would like a fretboard with no big spaces between frets...

I would like to get an Altamira... I would ike a model with good woods, no laminated (m10, m20 and m30 if I am right) wich are the differences between them? and with the m01?

wich are the dimensions of necks (are the same in the three models? also in the antique ones)? and of the fretboard from the nut till the 14 joint?

Thanks in advance!!

Great forum and site...

Luca

Comments

• vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M

The 14 fret Selmer style guitars have a very long scale, longer than you see on a fender Stratocaster guitar. I don’t know the exact measurement but the fret spacing is pretty damn big on a 14 fret Selmer style guitar

• geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503

For a short scale 14 fret GJ guitar, you are looking for a "transitional" type Selmer. Something like the AJL J'attendrai model. I know some other luthiers make guests with similar specs as well.

Or this one that is in stock here:

https://www.djangobooks.com/Item/shelley-park-2007-elan#gallery-3

• LucaTLucaT New
    edited April 2020 Posts: 19

Thanks.. I think an altamira “normal” scale would be ok... just wanted to know measures in cm and the differences in neck and specs between models...

• vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M

26.38 cm...... That’s pretty dang looong scale

• LucaTLucaT New
    edited April 2020 Posts: 19

Sadly I don't have that budget (for AJL's or Park's guitar) a trans 14 with 640 would be great but I think there si no model in my budget area (1000-1400 eu)

I read that necks on Altamira the antique models are more comfortable.. is it true?

• crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole

A standard 14 fret Selmer scale is 670mm from nut/zero fret to bridge. The d hole version is usually 640mm. I know some makers build a 14 fret 640mm scale length guitar. Good luck with your search.

always learning
  • MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

I have an Altamira M-01D and an Altamira M-10 antique & I love them both. I wouldn't pass over an M-01D just because it's laminate, I find it to be a very good sounding & playing guitar. Before the gigs were gone, I used it every week for an unplugged gig with great results. And I plan to resume that when they're back. It was my first GJ guitar & I bought it new from Michael. The M-10 is excellent as well and I use it for all plugged in gigs. I'm not aware of the necks being different, they feel the same to me. I'm also not aware of the neck being different on the antique models. Maybe Michael could confirm this. Interestingly, I prefer the way the M-01D sounds unplugged, while I prefer the way the M-10 sounds with a pick-up and amp. As the Altamira models go up in # (10, 20, 30), the price goes up and the type of wood changes. As always, I would suggest trying as many GJ guitars as you can get your hands on to see what works the best for your ears, eyes & hands.

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    edited April 2020 Posts: 6,152

@mikegnik I’ve always ordered all the Altamiras with the same modern C shape neck. However, others have been produced with different necks, usually more U shaped so you may see some like that floating around.

• LucaTLucaT New

thanks for all the comments...

better an Altamira M01 or M10?

is it there any big difference between laminated or solid woods?

I don't see many M10 around...while there are lots of M01

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

I own an M10 and like it a lot. Nice guitar for the price point, and I also got a pretty good deal used. Don't think they make them any more, thus why they might be not as "present."

Passacaglia