DjangoBooks.com

The Magnet: Smartphone Camera Mount for Guitar by Troy Grady

I have been following Troy Grady and the Cracking the Code series for over 15 years and have always wanted one of the Magnet mounts that they use in their videos.

Now there is a Kickstarter to help get them into production. The last Kickstarter in 2014 failed, but the current one is pretty close to being funded.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/troygrady/the-magnet-smartphone-camera-mount-for-guitar

For those of you who are unfamiliar with The Magnet, here is a clip with Joscho Stephan:

I personally think this would be a great tool to use to analyze and improve your right hand technique.

Can you imagine if someone can get Magnet video of Stochelo's playing for example? That would be invaluable information.

If you are so inclined and have the funds, please consider contributing.

I am in no way affiliated with Troy Grady and Cracking the Code, I would just really like to see this product finally come to life. For guitar nerds like me, this is awesome.

Comments

I like Troy a lot but c'mon man, who needs that? Except him, to do those crazy analysis. I remember several people in his videos being surprised saying that they have no idea how they arrived at the picking technique they're using. I'm not saying the things he himself learns and shares in his videos aren't helpful. I wanna say it helped me knowing why you do the downward pick slant. So I do think the guy is doing a favor to guitar players.

If you wanna improve your right hand and left hand technique, there's a thing that everyone owns already; a mirror. Mirror is more helpful than recording a video, the way I see it. I think it's even essential in honing your technique. Because I believe it creates instant information loop between your hands and your brain and by looking at what you're doing your brain is instantly self correcting. I use a mirror when I'm practicing something new or trying to fix something. I can be lazy too so I don't pull it out enough.

Say you own the magnet and record a video and after a few minutes of thinking "this is cool" you start thinking "what do I do with this information now". Then you open Troy's web page and there it is, "send us your videos and we'll interpret it for you and fix your playing, only $xxx". That's what I see coming. But fine, the guy is trying to make a living and it isn't easy for musicians especially these days.

geese_com
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel