DjangoBooks.com

Guitar Pacifica Perfidia

ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
edited May 2020 in Welcome Posts: 874

A few years back Neil Andersson of Pearl Django fame moved to Santa Barbara County in California.

He reached out to the only band in the area which played Gypsy Jazz "The Idiomatiques". He thought moving to Santa Barbara was going to be the end of his Gypsy Jazz playin and he was not far off. Still over time he found himself subbing bar and casual gigs with members of the Idiomatiques and one day approached me and said why don't we record something. Neil and I are quite different sounding players but thought why not, lets see what happens.

Due to being quarantined I have time to finish mixing a few songs we started before all this craziness, so no live takes, just a recording...Here is Perfidia.

BTW on the recording I am the player panned to the left side, Neil right...

Bucorichter4208StringswingerBillDaCostaWilliamsJSantaBonesMichaelHorowitzbillyshakes

Comments

Nice!

More...

Scoredog
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭

Its lovely. I hope you guys do some more together. Could totally see this one on a soundtrack. Hope things are going could for you Score

Scoredog
  • swiesslerswiessler NorCalNew Dupont MD20,Gibson L5,Bumgarner F hole(DiMauro type)

Quite beautiful and reminds me of how much I want to get back to S. B.

Scoredog
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore

Sounds great Craig! I lived in the Pacific NW for 12 years and was quite happy to come back to California so I totally understand why Neil would want to leave the rain and move to the sun. Pearl Django has been OK with my pal, Troy Chapman holding down Neil's old chair from what I have heard...

What guitars were you guys using on this recording?

Scoredog
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020 Posts: 874

Thanks Marc!...still contemplating a move to your area at some point but for now of course we are hunkered down.

Neil used a Vit Cach guitar (i've played his and love it, ordered one) and I am playing a Hahl Gitanao D which I like a lot too. The Vit guitar live is louder than the Hahl, the Hahl has a nice modern tone for me. When I play Neil's Vit my volume feels like it doubles.

Stringswinger
  • JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL

Love the song! I am admittedly a very big Pearl Django fan, so it's nice to hear Neil in a new setting. Thanks so much for sharing :)

Scoredog
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020 Posts: 874

Thanks and my pleasure...more to come, btw Neil painted the ocean picture you see (not the coronavirus stuff...:))

JSanta
  • JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL

It also gave me a reason to check out your band in more depth!

Scoredog
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Love this with the orchestration! It is sort of like one of the later Wes Montgomery albums where he played contemporary songs with backing orchestra. Nice work under COVID lockdown, @Scoredog !

Always loved Perfidia and this would have fit on Neil's "Malibu Manouche" album he did many years back. Had to check my copy to see if he recorded it then but he did everything else but...(Pipeline, Apache, Walk Don't Run, Telstar, etc)

Scoredog