DjangoBooks.com

I'll See You In My Dreams simul solo Stochelo/Romane

billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E
in Repertoire Posts: 1,302

I just found this incredible video of Stochelo and Romane performing a note-for-note rendition of Django's "I'll See You In My Dreams" live on stage in Quebec. Looks like this was put out by @dennis as I believe he was involved in HyperHipMedia back then? Anyway, wondering if this was something they did often or just a one-off deal. They look like they are having an incredibly fun time and it is fantastic showmanship to have both artists do this in parallel. Dennis, any oral history on this one?

Also, tip of the hat to @adrian for his transcriptions of this solo (in many iterations) on the soundslice link below. As he states in the notes, if you go to the recordings, you can toggle between this, Django, Jimmy, and more. Nice work, Adrian.

BucoBillDaCostaWilliamsadrian

Comments

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited May 2020 Posts: 1,454

Nice find billyshakes. Around 2001 Stochelo and Romane were performing together very often and had a lot of material! And I'll bet they could both still rip through a tonne of Django solos note for note, they've each got so much Django knowledge in the fingers.

These days you could find unison performances of I'll See You In My Dreams solo at Django in June or Samois just about every year, the solo is fun and easy and it's such an iconic piece that most any self-respecting GJ guitarist has learned it ?

Honorable mention for Adrian's 4 guitars one in Amsterdam, from a few years back ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pSCc0J-R9w

Bucobillyshakes
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

@Wim Glenn Very nice! And to have the likes of Reinier Voet and Jan Brouwer to play rhythm for them. Quel honneur!

I have no doubt that Romane and Stochelo could probably play every single one of Django's solos simultaneously...I was just surprised that they'd do it in such a place as a big concert setting.