DjangoBooks.com

Help with possible identification of this guitar

Comments

• JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL

There are so many great choices for a first GJ style guitar, in all budgets. And they are all for sale on this website. I have an Eastman DM1 that I love, and for around $800, I can't recommend it enough. Altamira's are also a really solid choice. What's your budget looking like? Knowing what you can spend is a huge help. It's easy enough for people to recommend a $2k+ guitar, but if you are looking more like $1k, it's a different story.

• edited May 2020 Posts: 4,746

Aside from absence of any labels whatsoever, no stamp on the tailpiece to indicate any brand, pretty thick neck heel, no zero fret, 3rd fret dot, atypical headstock joint, strap buttons...all of those wouldn't give me much confidence that it's a purposely built GJ guitar. But, if it's dirt cheap ($2-300 in this world) and it plays nice (assuming you can play it) then sure why not.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

As the man said, all of those details would make me suspicious of where it came from, and the joining strip down the middle of the back is typical Chinese/Aiersi decoration, but then again it does have the fret marker at the 10th fret instead of the 9th which is typical French/Italian. Anyway, I agree you should try it first, but if that is not possible, then taking a chance on a $300 unknown is no big deal, but if they are asking 'real' money then I would not risk it without giving it a good try out. Also, as others have said, a guitar of no known name or provenance will be hard to sell on if you decide later you don't get on with it or upgrade. And as Craig said, the Dupont Nomade or Mateos Jazz B are both excellent buys for around $2k, or for the sub $1k end of the market you can get a nice Altamira.

• WmTBallardWmTBallard U.K.New

The guitar is a MAC-10. Made under licence by Mario Maccafferi in Japan in 1979-83. These guitars are very sort after in Holland. Had the guitar had a label, it would have looked very similar to the one in the photo. Including the hand written signature of the great man

JSantaBucovanmalmsteenconstantine
  • WmTBallardWmTBallard U.K.New

What's the asking price?

• mac63000mac63000 Tacoma, WANew Geronimo Mateos Jazz B

Definitely does look like it. Interesting from these different examples, one has a zero fret, one does not!

• cmcmurphy22cmcmurphy22 New Bumgarner, Zwinakis

Well damn. Looks like it sold. I’m guessing someone here nabbed it. Grrrrrrr

• mac63000mac63000 Tacoma, WANew Geronimo Mateos Jazz B

Yeah sorry man. I doubt it's anyone from here, it's never happened before as far as I know. I personally wouldn't know where to even start looking. You got something coming if you keep looking, probably better.

vanmalmsteenPassacaglia
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel