DjangoBooks.com

Some basic questions

124»

Comments

• AndoAndo South Bend, INModerator Gallato RS-39 Modèle Noir

That Samson Schmitt stuff sounds great. They're using the piano like the percussive instrument it essentially is: a hot-rodded cimbalom!

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited September 2020 Posts: 1,457

Sonny Rollins on the pianist thing..

BillDaCostaWilliams
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited September 2020 Posts: 1,855

Interesting! Thanks for sharing, Wim.

I kind of think of the guitar as having a kind of a delicate “water colour” sound as compared to the big bold “oils and acrylics” sound of reed and brass instruments.

I understand where Sonny Rollins is coming from regarding a lot of piano players (ever played a gig with one of those lounge types who loves to fill every space with “waterfalls”.....?) but I have also been blessed to play with a few pianists with a light sensitive touch... like Teddy Wilson... anybody else dig him? To me he would be the ideal accompanist... well, Lester Young never complained about him anyway!

ok, enough blather from me, it’s Labour Day holiday and I hear some cava and Acapulco Gold calling my name...

Solidarity forever!

Will

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15

I suggest you buy a well-set up Cigano GJ-10 or GJ-15 which you should be able to find used for under $500, until you decide if you will stick with the style. You will immediately get "the sound" you are looking for which will motivate you to keep going. Yes, you can play Gypsy Jazz with any guitar, but the right guitar will definitely feel better in my opinion. When I play GJ on my Gibson flat top, it doesn't feel or sound right. Most other guitars (except classical guitars) fret boards have a distinct radius, whereas the GJ guitars are very nearly flat. String spacing on a gypsy jazz guitar is wider, too.

Just my 2 cents, anyway.

• Russell LetsonRussell Letson Prodigy
    edited September 2020 Posts: 355