DjangoBooks.com

Holo, Mazaud, Park, Dupont, etc. best of today?

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator

haha Amati’s Rodrigo guitar is good but he tends to not take care of it so it tends to have issues due to lack of care!

I stand by everything I say in my video here. The quick summary: the best guitar is the one you like haha. Everyone has different needs .

https://youtu.be/GsJAzrxVbS4

mac63000

Pretty often I hear people refer to the builders of their guitar as "my luthier". People make a connection with a luthier, sometimes before the first order and sometimes after so the decision can be emotionally driven. They are nice, pleasant people, everyone I talked to by now so it's easy to do so. The best doesn't exist because the sound of a guitar is a very subjective experience. I've played some guitars from top builders that didn't do anything to wow me but I know their owners were in love with them. All solid guitars though and the workmanship is usually just immaculate. When I discovered Ivanovski luthier, I liked the sound of the guitar in the video but was drawn even more when I realized we're countrymen, albeit former. Then his prices closed the deal. To me he's still a bargain to beat. And likewise, some people were wowed with my guitar and I could tell that others were meh after they played it.

Supposedly Frank Zappa said "you buy the one that asks you to take it home". That certainly happened to me with my other guitars. But that was before the internet age and it's not a possibility for a lot of people so I understand when these and similar questions come up.

billyshakesPassacagliaBillDaCostaWilliams
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited June 2020 Posts: 1,855

Yeah, Buco, that Ivanovski of your is a sweet-sounding guitar...

A good ol’ good one....

Q: How many guitars does a guitar player need?

A: Just one more!

MichaelHorowitzPassacaglia
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."

You're from the good ears group Will ;)

Passacaglia
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • scotscot Virtuoso

I think people become attached to the sound of their own guitars for a lot of reasons. If you spent a lot of money on a guitar you had better like it a lot! There was a time when I was young, single and making a fair amount of money and had minimal needs, so I bought a bunch of guitars. I found that any guitar that I had to think about for more than 30 seconds or so, I never had any second thoughts about selling. Ultimately nearly all of them got sold in a year or two. But I bought an old Gibson J-185 once after striking only one chord and kept that guitar for over 30 years - that was a wondrous old guitar... It was the same with the Favino.

When I bought the 1978 Martin M38 that I have now (my only guitar today), I thought I would try buying a guitar without playing it first, to see if it was possible to get a guitar to conform to my wants and needs. I've had that guitar about 10 years now and while I didn't like it that much at first, today it's rare that I play another guitar in that style that I like as well.

What exactly happened? Did I adjust to the guitar or it to me? Did it get used to the way I played over time and then respond better to that? Or was it as simple as me getting used to what was a pretty good sounding guitar to begin with? Guitars are mysterious things.

Each person's relationship to his guitars is different and it's certainly not always simple.

matthewkanisBucojuandererPassacagliaBillDaCostaWilliamsbbwood_98
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

I once saw this sentiment on a t-shirt at a gun show but I appropriated it for guitars....same idea.

"If you know how many guitars you have, you don't have enough!"

PassacagliaBillDaCostaWilliams
  • gambitgambit New

greets,

much thanks for a fantastic discourse on subject.

much good, deep (make me think), informations.

à la prochaine...

mac63000
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020 Posts: 1,471

It may be a lost cause, Denis, but speaking only for myself, I have no idea whether I'll get my hands on a number of different makes or even guitars within those makes or lines, to know. The comparative videos you and others have done are very kind and helpful, but I still find it hard to tease out enough, I guess.

So I find myself depending on recommendations from people I respect, trying to offer the qualities I might be looking for, to help them make recommendations. It seems per my thread, really no such thing as a "house" nature to luthiers' makes to help guide the decisions.

Speaking of a ton of guitars, really enjoyed hanging with Cyril and Kamlo and Michael Bauer at his place several years ago. Anyone, is Michael still around, active?

bbwood_98
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • juandererjuanderer New ALD Original, Manouche Latcho Drom Djangology Koa, Caro y Topete AR 740 O

This deviates from the original query but another thing that's very important to me is the purpose for the guitar I'm shopping for. If I am going to be gigging with it at bars, cafes, and the such; I'll stick to a cost-effective guitar that sounds good-enough. If I'm going to be playing more formal concerts, or I just want to treat myself, then I'll look at something more custom.

Thinking about dream guitars, there was an ALD about a year ago for sale here on the website that sounded absolutely beautiful to my ears. I convinced myself not to buy it but hope I come across something like that or the Shopis when I decide to take that leap. 😅

MichaelHorowitzBillDaCostaWilliams
  • h24015h24015 New jean barault, mateos

Good point 'juanderer', especially if you will be playing outside.