DjangoBooks.com

Boyer guitar

TwangTwang New
in Welcome Posts: 411

Does anyone who if Antoine Boyer’s Holo guitar is spruce or cedar top. Some makers varnish their spruce dark so you cant always tell. Just curious

Comments

There's this video where he's describing it, it's in French.

Right around 0:40 he's saying table and cèdre but also trois parties (three parts?). Calling @billyshakes to give interpretation services...

Twangmac63000PassacagliaBillDaCostaWilliams
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E
    edited June 2020 Posts: 1,308

He was at DFNW ~ 4years prior to this video, met Bob Holo, tried the guitar (which he calls extraordinary) and then bought it. Yes, he's saying the top is in three parts and it is from a big, old cedar piece that Bob found, maybe in a chimney of a house. It might be ~100 years old. The back is cocobolo and he talks about a carbon rod in the neck to keep it straight (which he says it has no problems there).

He later talks about the sound as very powerful and round from the cedar.

That's the gist...

BucoTwangmac63000BillDaCostaWilliamswimPassacagliaMehran s

That's awesome man, thanks.

billyshakes
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • TwangTwang New

Yes thanks very much guys!

billyshakesBucoPassacaglia
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭

Cool to hear him as the last time I heard him was at DIJ many years ago. I sat next to his dad while Antoine came in, shoeless, hopped on the stage and blew us away. I have the Francis Alfred-Moerman DVD but hadn't heard Antoine play for a long time.

On the guitar, yeah, wow, what extraordinary provenance for the wood and a nice story by Antoine. When he hit that first chord I was kind of blown away by the power (as Antoine confirms), then the beautiful single lines. I've never actually heard a Holo before. I knew he's extremely well-regarded here and elsewhere and I've read some of his posts here on sonics and other technical aspects, but want to do some more digging on the man. What a beautiful instrument.

mac63000Buco
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • TwangTwang New

Whats the deal with the little fingerboard extension. Is it detachable or something?

• mac63000mac63000 Tacoma, WANew Geronimo Mateos Jazz B

He doesn't say whether it's detachable but he said he added it because he needed the high D 😃

TwangBuco
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭

I love how he acknowledges it's not the prettiest mod, but it works.😀

Twangmac63000billyshakes
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • mac63000mac63000 Tacoma, WANew Geronimo Mateos Jazz B

Definitely going for sound and function over looks, but you can tell that's a sweet guitar.

Passacaglia