DjangoBooks.com

HineySuckle Rose intro.

CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
edited July 2006 in Repertoire Posts: 557
HEy everyone. MAybe this has been covered else where and I am a little embarrassed that I don't know it. BUt does anyone know the this opening lick to Hineysuckle Rose is played. It can be heard here
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... lo+Debarre

. I know the tune pretty well and like to solo over it. but if anyo0ne knows it or a source where I cna see either tab or notes for it that would be great. Also if anyone knows who started it I could dig that info too. Was it Django? I don't remember him playing it but my memory could be shit. I don't think most straight ahead guys play it I assume it is a Gypsy thing. thanks for all the info in advance guys.
Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.

Comments

• sockeyesockeye Philadelphie sur SchuylkillNew
    Django played it -- it's been a std part of the tune ever since Fats Waller wrote it, AFAIK.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    And as far as I know, calling it Hineysuckle Rose will soon become another standard part of the tune-thanks, Caleb!
    I'll have to check the video in a bit, this computer has no sound...

Best,
    Jack.
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    yeah man I just noticed that I wrote that. How Puerile. I did in fact mean Honeysuckle rose. I was work and was trying to post really fast.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    it is very simple and you should be able to get it simply by listening - the double stop at the beginning is:

x
    x
    x
    x
  • TomHTomH Port Townsend (area) WashingtonNew
    all the double stops are b5 intervals....the 3rd and b7 of Bb7 (or E7)
    To end the intro you can descend the line chromatically until it resolves to the F major chord.
    If you descend a b5 interval chromatically, you are essentially backcycling through the circle of fifths :idea: ....makes for easy identification of target tones.
    Tom
  • joefjoef Wales, U.K.New
    Caleb,

Here's a pdf. of the 1938 Hot Club Honeysuckle Rose intro. Violin takes the riff. I've tabbed the Django accompaniment notes. It's one of those arranged bits that always seem to be played differently from the original, but here it is for your reference. :-)

regards

Joe