DjangoBooks.com

BIAB Test!

ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in Welcome Posts: 867

I decided to start a new thread instead of getting this lost in the longer thread but I have a test example....at the request of Richter...I'll place this in that thread too...

He chose "I Can't Give You Anything But Love".......I chose a Gonzalo solo template which originally played at 250 bpm and dropped the song to 190 which is fairly typical for this song.

Remember when listening that no one except me actually played "I Can't Give You Anything But Love".

What you will hear...

First part is a "Robot" Gonzalo playing a solo and I am doing the comping...pretty cool

btw Simon Planting on bass

2nd and 3rd part I am playing the solo and Gonzalo and John Jorgenson are comping for me (how cool is that?)...

There were a few timing issues with the bass part against my rhythm where I could have fixed the bass part in Logic X but i wanted to leave it as most people would use BIAB. It is amazing that even using a tempo that far away from the template Gonzalo, John and Simon originally started that the time is as tight as it is.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fr5vbcihpiunmw8/I%20Can%27t%20give%20You%20example.mp3?dl=0

BonesBucorichter4208mac63000billyshakes

Comments

• richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭

Thanks a lot Score! As a backing track that you can manipulate the tempo and key changes that's pretty handy.

Awesome solo Score!

Sounds like a ton of fun (honestly more than I expected). I can see you getting a lot of use out of that.

Appreciate the demo and you might make me (again) spend some money

Scoredogmac63000
  • pmgpmg Atherton, CANew Dupont MD50R, Shelley Park Custom, Super 400, 68 Les Paul Deluxe, Stevie Ray Strat

Very cool Scoredog!!! Nice audio.

Can you describe the steps your took to produce and record this? I have been playing around with dropping BIAB files into Reaper and recording my GJ guitar on a new track through a mic plugged into my Focusrite interface ahead of Reaper on my PC. I also just directly record into my Zoom H5 recorder- but Reaper sounds better.

I'm always interested in jamming with experienced jazz and gypsy jazz players in the San Francisco - San Jose area. Drop me a line. Bass players welcome!
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020 Posts: 867

Sure...and thanks!

First step is creating the song in BIAB of course at 190 bpm...I used the Gonzalo solo fast 250 bpm as the song to pull the performance from...just so know your Gonzalo solo might not be the same as mine, BIAB makes it pretty random which I love. Once that is done I solo each track I am going to use in the mixer and render...in this case...

1. bass
    2. John Rhythm guitar
    3. Gonzalo Rhythm guitar
    4. Gonzalo solo

individually to a folder on my desktop...since you are on a PC you might be able render in one shot but I don't know, i am on a Mac and i did it one at a time.

I solo each track individually I am going to use, then go under "audio" in your menu bar and export song as a an aiff (wave is fine too, even mp4 probably will be good enough but as a person used to deliver higher quality files i just go there). you will need to do this for each track (the 4 mentioned above).

Now you have 4 tracks you can pull into Reaper in your case.

I mute the areas I am going to replace and that's about it.

If something is not clear I can get on the horn and explain if needed.

Best

Craig

• pmgpmg Atherton, CANew Dupont MD50R, Shelley Park Custom, Super 400, 68 Les Paul Deluxe, Stevie Ray Strat
    edited June 2020 Posts: 140

Thanks Scoredog - very helpful. I have been following the steps discussed in this video which show how you can pull all tracks into Reaper in one shot - and then edit/add other tracks (e.g., your solos or rhythm parts) - and then render the entire tune into an mp3. I understand that you can also use Reaper to add in videos which I have yet to do - but on my long list of future projects.

Scoredog
    I'm always interested in jamming with experienced jazz and gypsy jazz players in the San Francisco - San Jose area. Drop me a line. Bass players welcome!