DjangoBooks.com

Power Source for Amplified Busking

pmgpmg Atherton, CANew Dupont MD50R, Shelley Park Custom, Super 400, 68 Les Paul Deluxe, Stevie Ray Strat

Did my first live jam with other players this past weekend!!! Wow - it felt great! We are still on lock-down locally and cannot play at or near any establishments, but got the OK from the local police (wrote a nice email) to play in a park in Palo Alto. Except for a cranky guy who was laying down on a nearby park bench listening to music who called the cops when we were setting up (they came, listened and left with no issues), all was fine except . . .

There was no power in the park. My jam buddies (guitar and bass) had small amps that they plugged into an AC power unit that was about the size of a small toaster. I had my acoustic and, while it was OK, I am now on a search for a similar small power source to use for outdoor jams in the park which we expect to be doing weekly until we can play at our usual commercial venues. I have been playing for well over 40 years and never had a need to find power - but the times they are a changin'

Suggestions appreciated.

BTW, the other guys used this unit: https://www.amazon.com/OMORC-Portable-Generator-Generators-Emergence/dp/B081GFH5F8/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=mpow+power+station&qid=1592494109&sr=8-1. Light as a feather - not like the old style lead acid car batteries that I have seen some guys use.

We played for 2 1/2 hours and the unit was only about 30% discharged. Pretty amazing.

I'm always interested in jamming with experienced jazz and gypsy jazz players in the San Francisco - San Jose area. Drop me a line. Bass players welcome!

Comments

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E
  • pmgpmg Atherton, CANew Dupont MD50R, Shelley Park Custom, Super 400, 68 Les Paul Deluxe, Stevie Ray Strat

Thanks for the inputs guys. I am not a fan of amps with built in batteries. Too limiting i.e., cannot run multiple devices, lights, charging iPads, phones, etc. I like these small lithium power sources much better. Cheap, lightweight, quiet, tons of input options, can be used for home and camping, etc. Even can be recharged with a portable solar panel.

Anybody else using one of these types of units?

With the lockdown, I suspect others will need off-grid power options for a while.

I'm always interested in jamming with experienced jazz and gypsy jazz players in the San Francisco - San Jose area. Drop me a line. Bass players welcome!
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore

Paul, based on Vic Wong's advice, I bought the unit he uses. I have used it on about a half dozen outdoor, no power gigs. It is great to have your own amp instead of a cheap battery amp. The only issue is some grounding buzz when your hand is off the guitar.

Scoredog
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • TwangTwang New

AER compact mobile is indeed a fabulous amp and has been around for yonks. But is a lot of dosh and maybe overkill (or not). Please consider the Roland AC33. Load it up with AA rechargeable and you golden. Amazing busking amp.

• vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M
    edited June 2020 Posts: 337

i use this thing to blast background tracks, my gypsy guitar is plenty loud enough on its own. Good old Costco purchase. It’s just for blasting music at the river or BBQ orwhatever. Bluetooth .... You can plug a microphone or a guitar into it, it has quarter inch input, doesn’t sound too good with guitar in my opinion but I’ve done it. Would be more for a karaoke kind of deal probably. I have a YouTube somewhere where I’m playing background track of minor swing with my jazz guitar plugged into it. It’s just not the warmest sounding thing for guitar, I would definitely do it on the street corner though

• pmgpmg Atherton, CANew Dupont MD50R, Shelley Park Custom, Super 400, 68 Les Paul Deluxe, Stevie Ray Strat

Old school - cool! Yeah, I have seen some street guys use these locally and they sound OK. Just prefer my own amps that are made for guitar.

I am OK in an acoustic jam when everyone else is acoustic and close by each other, but once you get a couple or more amplified instruments in the mix - or want to carry the sound some distance to a listening audience, or deal with social distancing - need an amp IMO to make it work well.

Passacaglia
  • mac63000mac63000 Tacoma, WANew Geronimo Mateos Jazz B
    edited June 2020 Posts: 248

I see that scalloped fretboard @vanmalmsteen ;-) off topic but couldn't help myself.

@pmg it sounds like that portable power source you linked to might be a bet if you want to use an amp you already have. Was there any sound interference that the either players experienced?

• vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M

No - it worked great. No issues.

mac63000