DjangoBooks.com

Gig Bag for a Selmer - Mono M80 / Reunion Blues Continental Voyager

Hi everybody,

I have been on a desperate hunt for a suitable gig bag for a Selmer guitar.

I have read about the BAM cases, but I at a price of £500 it's definitely out of my scope. I have been looking at Mono M80 dreadnought and the Reunion Blues Continental Voyager.

Eventually I decided to just order a Reunion Blues, it's an amazing case very well padded and strong, but I noticed that because of the top semi-rigid structure it's kinda pushing down on the bridge when closed.

Not sure it's a good thing or if it will give in a bit.

Anybody else has other ides/suggestions?

Andrea

Comments

• TwangTwang New

Hi

I tried my guitar with a mono vertigo which is pretty similar to the M80 and I didn't buy it for the same reason. I'm still thinking about it cos, like you, I'm undecided whether it's an issue or not. These bags are made for dreadnoughts and the bridges have a low profile.

I was going to check out the reunion blues to see if they were roomier but you've answered my question.

Some hard cases are as light as high end gig bags these days but uncomfortable, or not possible, to carry on your back.

Cheap gig bags tend to be more baggy because they are not so "fitted". The answer might be there if you can buy one that offers enough protection.

Andrea Vergani
  • TwangTwang New

Here's a guy doing a great review of the mono Vertigo for his Holo gypsy guitar. He likes it but does mention at one point that it's a tight fit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoscyxaSQ58

rudolfochrist

I think the issue is that all these gig bags are designed for flat top acoustics, so our bridge will always be tight to the upper part of the gig bag.

The his cox has all the space needed with no pressure on the bridge. The Reunion Blues fits really well the guitar but it feels like the "flexoskeleton" on the bag cover/top is fairly rigid so when you zip it up it does apply a certain degree of pressure on the bridge.

It looks like th mono cases don't have that feature so the top of the bag will always adapt to the "protruding" bridge.

I dunno, I am thorn - the bag itself is amazing. Maybe we sohuld check what gig bag exists out there for old school acoustic arch top guitars?

On the other hand I do have an old Tom & Will gig bag which is quite the standard one, it has been used in for many years and it does match the guitar super easily.

On the other hand your axe will be moving around and not too much protected.

• TwangTwang New

I see what you mean about the rigid flexoskeleton. I have a mono m80 for my classical. It's a gig bag in the true sense of the word so you won't have those issues. I think you'd be better off with the mono.

Go for the vertigo, there's hardly any difference in price and it's way cooler.

Interesting! I know of another player using the Vertigo, I am not convinced by the way it opens though. I like the top to be fully opened all the way to the bottom. I guess I will end up ordering the Mono as well and then return on of the two!

• TwangTwang New

I teach guitar and have to carry a gig bag around with me all day 5 days a week for the last 15 years. The first thing to break on the bag is the zip as it rounds the corner at the bottom. What Mono have done with the zip design is a stroke of genius! Also why do you don't want to keep unzipping the whole bag just to get it in and out when you don't need to. The zip, the neck clamp and the foot are the best features.

If you're worried about the zip scratching the guitar, the padding is so thick it doesn't come anywhere near it.

• TwangTwang New

The only reason I didn't get a vertigo btw is cos they don't make it for classical.

If you get the mono can you let us know how you get on regarding the bridge fit?

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

@Buco What kind of gig bag do you have? Does it have the same issues with the bridge pushing up against the top that Andrea was speaking of?

• JoseJose Minneapolis New DuPont MD 50

I love my Mono Vértigo, comfortable, safe for the guitar plus has a lot of extra storage compartments.

rudolfochrist