DjangoBooks.com

Archtops for Gypsy Jazz

MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

I wonder if any of you regularly use archtops on your gigs/jams? I have an old Epiphone Joe Pass that I've used a few times. During the week, sometimes I'll practice with it & I'll think I'll use it on a gig on the coming weekend. But more often than not, when the gig night comes, I'll grab one of my trusty Altamiras. I do like the sound of it, I play it through a tweed Fender Blues Jr. I really like Django's electric stuff, so I see it as having a place in this music, if tastefully employed. I wonder what others think about it.

Comments

• vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M

I had a Ibanez arch top that I really liked, it was maple with a floating pick up. I played it through my Blues junior as well and it sounded really good. I would always play gypsy jazz to backing tracks and I always thought to myself that I wouldn’t hesitate to play it in a live context. As much as I liked it, I sold it so that I could buy another Altamira. No regrets

MikeK
  • pdgpdg ✭✭

Bireli has played, and plays, electric archtops, acoustic flattops, strats, and gypsy jazz guitars. He doesn't think in terms of "gypsy jazz," and neither did Django. They just play(ed) jazz. I would say to use your ears, and strive to express yourself with whatever tonalities appeal to you.

vanmalmsteenBucoswiesslerChrisMartinAndyW
  • TwangTwang New

Check out this gypsy jazz top ten in amplification. The number 3 from the top says it all.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=unrPGzfWTtI

• B25GibB25Gib Bremerton WA✭✭✭✭ Holo Busato, Dell'Arte Hommage, Gitane D-500, Eastman AR805

I set aside my Holo Busato and Dell 'Arte Hommage over the last year and played my 2004 Eastman AR805 pickup model(non-cutaway) in a restaurant/bar with upright bass, another quality GJ player guitar and ukulele(when available). Nice tone difference! Using a LR Baggs Para Acoustic D1 to main board PA. Enjoy it alot.

Now with music venues not available and virus concerns, I'm jamming/practicing outside when weather permits with a very good chromatic harp player using my 1994/5 Gitane D500 with an incredible Josh Hegg bridge(compensating for structeral change) because it has more drum/low end thump while having fundamental top string clarity and is a better choice for this duo work!

Nice to have multiple guitars to pick from when matching sound with different musicians!

rudolfochristMikeK
  • MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

Thanks Twang. I saw this "Top 10" a few years ago & forgot about it. Your reminder has inspired me--I'll break out my archtop on my gig this weekend & see how it goes. Pdg (and others involved in this thread), thanks for your input as well.