DjangoBooks.com

Question for Peche users

13»

Comments

• TwangTwang New

That review is 14 years old. Their has to be a catch or we’d all be using one by now. (Interesting though)

I think what scoredog said about even if you get your acoustic sound loud enough, most of it gets lost in a noisy bar compared to a magnetic, was a good observation.

I think too that it was a really good observation, something I never thought about. On the other hand though if the crowd is that loud it means nobody cares, you're just a jukebox. In that case why put in any effort to fight it? Use your best sound, the one you enjoy and play for that person that stands right in front of you. I've been that person on a few occasions.

Twang
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • FattyFatty New

The guitar with the rosewood custom Peche is a 2012 NAMM special from Yun Zhi right after those cats left Eastman to start their own company...It's a Fat bodied Archtop Gypsy Hybrid but sounds like a gypsy guitar all the way...it's not quite as loud acoustically and has a thick top but it's all solid wood and sounds Great plugged in...

Buco
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator

Regarding string balance, I've never come across any magnetic system for a Gypsy guitar that is completely balanced. It's really tough to get the B string (which has the thickest core) and the G string (which has the smallest core) to respond evenly. With that said, most people get used to it and it's usually not that big of a deal.

Of course, this problem has been solved on electric archtop guitars which in every way are designed for the best possible result with a magnetic pickup. The strings are usually very heavy, often 14s for serious bebop guys like Wes Montgomery and George Besnson, and pickups love all the metal flying around! In addition, they're nickel which responds better and the action is usually very low getting the strings right up against the pickup. The guitar itself is also acoustically tuned for optimal results when amplified and the acoustic volume is dampened to prevent feedback. On a Gypsy guitar, pretty well all these things are exactly the opposite (i.e. light copper strings, high action, very acoustically resonant) which is why they're a lot harder to amplify.

Mehran sTwang