DjangoBooks.com

Waso - UK (Sevenoaks), March 1982

Comments

• TonyReesTonyRees New South Wales, Australia

You're welcome Djangology...

I added a note on this on Facebook when I uploaded it to youtube and got a couple of interesting responses from sons of several of the players concerned:

While Tcha Limberger (son of Vivi) said:

This is very valuable to me, being Vivi's son of course! A good recording, as yet unknown to me, of the heroes of my childhood. What a joy to wake up with this incredible find! My dad is in very very good shape, as all of them are! Smiling all over my face. And a very good recording it is too! Acoustically, as I love it!!!! T

Regards - Tony

BucoBillDaCostaWilliamsrudolfochrist
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

So neat to see this feedback. As you said when you originally shared this, it is getting it out into the world and providing an archival function. Thank you again Tony for posting this.

TonyReesBucoBillDaCostaWilliams
  • Hi guys what a cool thread! 😀 Learning so much! Such great music, Tony thanks so much for uploading it - it's so important to keep this music alive! Track 13 sounded familiar so I went back through my LPs and to me it has the same theme as Czardas Pista by Tata Mirando.. Here is a youtube link for reference..theme kicks in at around 2:30: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_84QQx7Gh4U In Tony's recording the same theme kicks in at around 3:50. What do you think?

When I was at Sinti Jazz Guitar Camp in Netherlands I met Lamla Weis, who's dad is Morschi Mirando, who was often lead violin in Tata Mirando. I bought the old LP while I was there (Tata Mirando - Gipsy Fire) and showed her, and she pointed to the cover photo and said "oh that's my dad, and that's all my uncles, and that's my grandfather on double bass". Very cool! And she showed me some amazing footage of the band performing...here is the youtube link if anyone is interested.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nPdx4x9x0E They're such a great band 😊

TonyReesBillDaCostaWilliamsbillyshakeswimrudolfochristBuco

Thanks Miranda - if they are the same, I don't know enough about Czarsas's to know if "Czardas Pista" is an actual composed tune, or (for example) the name of a medley incorporating several tunes - any others to the rescue? The title seems to show up only on this one CD/LP by Tata Mirando, so I am wondering whether it occurs elsewhere under any other name...it does seem familiar.

For interest, on the youtube upload of the full show, the relevant tune starts at around 42:50.

Cheers - Tony

Miranda_Deutsch

Interesting article for Tato Mirando on Dutch wikipedia, google translation here: https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&u=https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tata_Mirando&prev=search&pto=aue ... his birth name was Weiss (same as Django's father) and he would have been a bit older - b.1895. It would not be surprising if some of his Orchestra's tunes found their way into the repertoire of later Sinti musical groups, I guess...

Miranda_Deutsch

OK, I will ask Tcha Limberger via his Facebook page - I am guessing he should know ... stay tuned!

BucorudolfochristMiranda_Deutschbillyshakes
  • Cool Tony! I look forward to hearing more after Tcha gets back to you :) And thanks for that Wiki link! So Josef was Lamla Weis' grandfather and Morschi was her dad. Unfortunately Lamla said everyone in that band has died now :(

• Tony i'm going on a bit of a tangent haha...but I wonder if Czardas Pista was either written by, or written as a tribute to Pista Danko (1858-1903).. He is one of Hungry's most famous gypsy violinists.. But the Czardas Pista or Csárdás Pista just isn't coming up in my deep-dive-rabbit-hole google searches.. Fun to try though! I await Tcha's response :D

edited April 2021 Posts: 140

Well, here is the response from Tcha:

hello Tony.

First of all, they play two tunes, not one, and only one is a csardas.

The first one is called: kiskereki betyár csárda, or in other cases hortobágyi betyár csárda, here is a link to a beautiful less polished version of it, it is a very popular tune, among the elderly Hungarian non gipsies, considered a bit commercial by others. This version is played by musicians who like it, https://youtu.be/uxrqe25PAi8

the second tune is called "a-moll csárdás", csárdás in A-minor. Also a rather well-known piece.

Tata Mirando, they are fun, but not Hungarian, and you don't want to believe, all they tell you

rudolfochristBucoBillDaCostaWilliamsMiranda_Deutschbillyshakes
  • Bahaha I love it! Thanks Tony for the detective work! Case closed! Love that last line from Tcha...classic..

TonyRees