DjangoBooks.com

Zero fret setup

in Welcome Posts: 2

Hi,

can somebody please let me know if the zero fret needs to be higher than the others or do I just level it through with all the rest? Thankyou in advance.

Comments

• PetrovPetrov ✭✭

When I got mine setup with a luthier, he said typically the zero fret is done slightly higher to allow more margin of error with the setup of the entire guitar. This is usually done with factory made guitars. The drawback is that it might be slightly harder to play. Possibly other drawbacks.

He setup my zero fret level and I can feel a difference in playability. Slightly better/easier.

Mandeville

I use a very high zero fret setup which I like a lot. It's at 1.8mm while the frets are 1.2 (or 1.3mm, not entirely sure now). I've heard Dupont guitars are setup with higher than usual zero fret as well. It's common to have zero fret slightly higher, (at least 0.1mm but usually 0.2-3mm) to prevent a buzz between zero fret and the the fret where the string is pressed, I've heard it referred to as back buzz. It's definitely stiffer with a higher zero fret. But to me it benefited the overall sound. Good to hear it can be done level too, it's news to me.

Mandeville
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • maxmax SwedenNew

Zero frets does not need to be higher than the other frets. Sure it can be as explained above but it doesn’t have to. Think of using a capo: It would not work if zerofrets had to be higher.

i have the same height on my guitar, works great, it’s just a matter of taste, and as explained above: a way for factories to get away with poor or high setup.

if You prefer low action have the zerofret the same as the others imho.

Mandeville
  • mac63000mac63000 Tacoma, WANew Geronimo Mateos Jazz B

I've also read it's supposed to be a little higher than the other frets, but not sure by how much. I think the important part is that it's higher than the nut, right? Otherwise it's not very useful...

Mandeville
  • juandererjuanderer New ALD Original, Manouche Latcho Drom Djangology Koa, Caro y Topete AR 740 O

It is also very important to have it before the first fret.

MandevilleAndrewUllebbwood_98wimrudolfochristBillDaCostaWilliamsbillyshakesmac63000

Thankyou for all your comments, they are really helpful, I’ll go with slightly higher then work down to level. It’s on an Altimeria M01D there was no setup available from the supplier here in the uk, it’s bloody terrible to play and has a hump where the fingerboard goes over the body at the 14th, I would highly recommend paying for a fret dress and setup straight out of the box as I don’t think that quality control Is a priority at the factory, or perhaps mine is just the exception.

Thanks again

• TwangTwang New

If your zero fret is even a tiny fraction lower than the first fret you will get back buzz. I speak from bitter experience. The nut does nothing but act as a guide for the strings.

Mandeville
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

I think the 0 fret should be 2mm higher at least, however there should be a slight bow to the neck (hold down fret 1 and 21, should be around 1mm in the center of the neck between the fret and the string) IMHO; therefore one could set a 0 fret flat theoretically. the lower overall action you want, the closer 0 fret and other frets can be, however if you are trying to set a 'flat' neck without bow; you'll want a higher 0 fret for sure.

Good luck.

Regarding the hump on the neck - this is fixable. but royally a pain to do (requires taking the frets off; leveling the board and then 're-freting' - which i use little quotes for because theoretically you could do this using the same fret wire(s) . . . ) and I'd recommend asking a luthier to do it for you. opening the truss rod if there is one so there is a significant bow may help, but your action on the guitar will be higher because of it.

Mandeville
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole

I asked Alex Bishop, a fantastic UK luthier, if he used a higher zero fret and his answer was 'no'. He just uses the same fret as the rest of the board.

Bones
    always learning