DjangoBooks.com

Julian Bream

TwangTwang New
in Welcome Posts: 411

Sadly, Julian Bream passed away this week. An incredible musician and, it's well documented, he was a big fan of Django.

Comments

• bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

My quick tribute to Maestro Julian Bream.

BillDaCostaWilliamsbillyshakes
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity

Bream was/is my favourite classical guitarist and not Just because Django was his “hero” (Bream’s word, not mine).

bbwood_98
  • pdgpdg ✭✭

Here's a video of Julian Bream and Stephane Grappelli playing Nuages, live, in concert!

https://youtu.be/fnB8E_N6M1Q

adrianBillDaCostaWilliamsbbwood_98
  • Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020 Posts: 459

Bream playing "Viper's Dream" by Django.

BillDaCostaWilliams
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl
    edited August 2020 Posts: 636

Great to see this classic footage. I had no idea he was so influenced by Django in his youth.

BTW I believe Viper's Dream was a Fletcher Allen composition

• NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991

Django and Bream, once heard never forgotten.

Last year I recorded my tribute to both of them after the fire at Notre Damme.

Judging by the request on that thread for music which had more to do with Gypsy Jazz It seems that I did not explain myself clearly. There have been many royal weddings at Notre Damne, I've often played Gounod's 'Ave Maria' at weddings, usually with flute or the house Soprano. The Bach is from the first book of The Well Tempered Clavier, Gounod superimposed his melody over the top of it (you can hear me whistle it at the end) . Django recorded Minor Swing in Paris where Notre Damme is situated. You can sing the Gounod melody (in C) over the first sixteen bars of Minor Swing (in the relative minor...try it it's fun, but it might take a bit of practice).

In response to one of our Luthier's post on the fire I went into my hallway and recorded the start of the prelude improvised a little transition went into Minor Swing for a bit improvised another little transition and then returned to the Bach again for the ending. I whistled off key and threw in some blues licks to take it home and hide my embarassment. I can only apologise that I did not take the time to prepare something serious or use a plectrum.

I called it 'She Can Take It' with the byline 'Some things careless fools may not destroy' for although I obviously do violence to all of the ingredients I threw into the mix their flavours are so strong that even I cannot extinguish them. Also of course I meant to indicate that I believed that Our Lady herself would survive, as the Bach itself more than survives in Gounod's Hymn to Our Lady, his Hail Mary. This was my Hail Mary.

On the same day I was lucky enough to have a little thing come to me and recorded that also. I have Django and Bream and maybe a little Canteloube to thank for that so if noone minds I will post it again here. There are many mistakes but I do not care to work on free form improvisation as I do not seek to catch lightning in a bottle.

Bream distinguishes himself from most classical guitarists by having invested in playing by ear. I think this, along with his obvious musical gifts, is what makes his interpretations so lyrical and enjoyable and which will ensure his legacy will endure long after more meticulous technicians have been forgotten....like Django's.

I trust that one of our discerning moderators will remove this post if it is not appropriate for this forum which is devoted to the more serious study of 'Gypsy Jazz' ,whatever that might be.

https://youtu.be/LNbNjn0TwaI

ChrisMartin
  • NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
    edited December 2020 Posts: 462

'On the same day I was lucky enough to have a little thing come to me and recorded that also. I have Django and Bream and maybe a little Canteloube to thank for that so if noone minds I will post it again here. There are many mistakes but I do not care to work on free form improvisation as I do not seek to catch lightning in a bottle.'

Oops, I just noticed that I didn't link to the video I was referring to, it's below.

I was very surprised when I listened to it for I don't have total recall and had improvised the harmony on the fly to suit the ideas as they came which were new.

I wrote a 'method' to help people develop this skill for one of our members here but he mistook my method for a magic trick as an investor in iron pyrites might reject the opportunity to stand in a river with a pan.

This is what I mean....

I once read a training manual for runners it pretty much said this 'To establish a base of fitness get up every morning and run five miles.'

I read it 'understood' it and then mistook it for magical thinking for having 'understood' on reading my musculature and fitness levels were unchanged.

Years later I actually DID WHAT IT SAID TO DO, and 'magically' I got fit.

I am not looking at a screen in the mornings when I go running and I never will for the purpose of the screen is to switch off your brain and help you be unaware of your body as you miss the point of the activity all together. I mention this because practicing music is the same and yet online we are told that the gymn is the better way, by people who aren't fit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNbNjn0TwaI

D.

BillDaCostaWilliams
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

Or to put it another way for those who think Dave may be 'overthinking' things:

As Funkadelic said.....Free Your Mind And Your Ass Will Follow.

jonpowl