DjangoBooks.com

Saga tailpiece replacement

I have a Cigano guitar. I need to replace the tailpiece again! I use D’Addario light gauge Gypsy strings. The string posts keep pulling out, doesn’t matter if I use loop or ball end. This is my 3rd tailpiece. I would like to put on a traditional arch top trapeze style tailpiece. Has anyone done this on a Saga guitar (Cigano, Gitane)? If so, who, what, where (manufacturer, seller, etc.). If not, does anybody know the specs for this factory tailpiece? Depth, overhang extension, string spacing, etc.?

I’m not GJ player, but I like my Cigano and am not really interested in replacing it. Just tired of replacing the cheap tailpieces. I’ve seen the “Del Arte Tailpiece for Maccaferri Guitar 2005.” I worry about break angle not using the exact Saga tailpiece.

Thank you so much for your help.

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    edited August 2020 Posts: 3,319

I think the tailpieces come flat you screw them on and bend over the edge of the guitar but check with Michael.

if not and the holes dont line up just plug them with a small dowel (or toothpick, match stick or whatever piece of wood you have) and wood glue and redrill the holes... if there is a problem. Assumes you r handy and have some tools. Or have ur luthier do it.

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    edited August 2020 Posts: 959

Trapeze style should work well. Many of the old luthers used them on GJ guitars, very common on Di Mauros (as below) and some of the Mirecourt guitars; Henri Miller, Patenotte etc (see my Patenotte below). They are usually hinged at the bottom so no worries about the break angle, it will set itself according to the bridge height. Brands should not matter, there are many available online, chrome or gold but depending on the distance between the bridge and the bottom edge you might want to go for a shorter length one. Search online images of those mentioned above and you will see what I mean, they are usually not as long as on full-size archtops.

Of the other replacements GJ style, like Dell Arte, yes, as Bones says they are usually flat from new and you have to make the bend yourself, but that is not hard to work out; likewise filling old screw holes that don't line up with the new one is easy as there should be a substantial tail block inside that area.