DjangoBooks.com

Consecutive downstokes

snoflyssnoflys New
edited February 2005 in Technique Posts: 4
Hello - just getting into this really - using the gypsy picking book and love it - however I am having trouble when it comes to the patterns using consecutive downstrokes decending from high to low strings at medium and fast tempos - any suggestions? Also I could seem to find a description of the "bounce technique" in the forum - am I looking in the wrong place? Thanks :?

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    I think your questions are related...to take the last one first, look here:
    http://djangobooks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43
    The 'bounce' is a result of using the rest stroke technique discussed there. Also bear in mind the forum's still fairly new, so not everything's been covered yet (could it ever be?). You might also look at http://www.hotclub.co.uk/forum/index.php where you could run a search for 'rest stroke' and see what turns up-it's been around a bit longer, but you'll find many of us over there as well.

Back to the first question: partly, I think it's a matter of practicing slowly, and only very gradually increasing tempos, especially if you've spent years using upstrokes in that situation. And partly (this is where your questions relate) I think it's important to really get a handle on the rest stroke idea first-that 'bounce' is part of what will put your hand in the best postition when running those descending patterns. If you've got access to any video footage (come to think of it, there's an archive right here!) check out the right hand of the best players.

I've said it before: It's a long road, but a hell of a ride. Have fun.

Best,
    Jack.
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    So I started playing at the Monday night jam and have been really learning allot. Mostly when I watch people that know what they are doing e.i. Michael, I see where I fail the most. This is on my descending picking. When going down from high E to low E using all down stokes. I can not seem to get this down. I can do it slow...very slow but can not get any speed at all. I just can't even imagine any speed or flow from rest trokes using all down stokes this way. Can any one shed some light on this for me? I have been practicing this "new" method for a while and have come up to a problem. In jams I have some of my ascending runs down and can do them fast with a good tone. But then when it is time to come down I feel and sound like I have been playing for about one month! No speed, no tone and it falls apart. So it is hard for me to implement into a real playing situation. Any clues?
    Cheers
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi Josh,

Hi Josh,

The descending downstrokes is always the hardest thing for folks who are used to alternate picking w/free strokes. It's actually really efficient, but takes some getting used to. I really had to work hard at it...took six months for it to feel normal. Now it's totally ingrained and I can do it really fast without thinking. I know your hear this all the time, but it really just takes time and patience. As long as your form is good when you do it slow you WILL be able to do it faster over time. If you cheat and learn it incorrectly then you might never get it right.

From watching you play I think one thing that will help you is more arch in the wrist. The key to the downstroke thing is using gravity to generate the power. Also, the wrist needs to be super loose...like rubber band.

BTW, Kevin said you two held the fort at the jam on Monday. Thanks for covering while I was sick!

Good luck!

'm
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    Kevin is a really good bass player! We traded solos all night and I think it sounded good. If nothing else it was a blast.

Thanks for the tips. I have been practicing ever since you mentioned making some changes in my technique... or lack there of.

Cheers

See you next week?
  • zavzav Geneve, SwissNew
    snoflys, I recomend you a simple open-string exercise, which could be a good adition for both down- and up-stroke runs training:

6-5-6-5-4-5-4-3-4-3-2-3-2-1-2-3-2-3-4-3-4-5-4-5-6-5-6

(here are string numbers to be played)

Good luck,
    Anton
  • zavzav Geneve, SwissNew
    (Sorry, I mean of cause, consecutive UP and DOWN rest-stroke runs!!!)