DjangoBooks.com

SAGA Cigano GJ 15 vs Altamira M01D

2»

Comments

• ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus
    edited October 2020 Posts: 187

I've owned an Eastman DM2, and played a few Eastman DM1's and many Altamira (model M, Model M30, Model **** birdseye, etc). Eastman is definitely easier to play and sounds great by itself - but sounds thin and brittle with a group. Altamira is a bit harder to play but sounds way better playing in a group, though it bit lackluster by itself.

I revisited Altamira about 7 months apart - during which I had made large improvements to my technique in that time. I actually found the Altamira preferable when I had better technique, and am considering picking one up for traveling back to France eventually. If you have a bit more money, buy the Altamira.

TDogvanmalmsteenBillDaCostaWilliamsMikeK
  • apache26apache26 New

Today the guitar has arrived and as I imagined the strings, at least for my way of playing, are too high.

I have to see how to lower them. In these cases it should intervene on the bridge but maybe I prefer to replace it

with an adjustable one.

Some advice?

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited October 2020 Posts: 1,457

Uh-oh, it looks like you got sent a M01DT (thin body) 😬

apache26
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Either that or somebody pulled the old Flat Stanley trick!

• AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15

Assuming that the neck relief is correct, yes, you would have to take some off the bottom of the bridge or buy another lower bridge. If you want to lower the action by let’s say 2 mm at the 12th fret, you’d need a bridge 4 mm shorter (i.e. twice the height difference less). Do NOT put an adjustable bridge on a Gypsy Jazz guitar. But I have to admit I have no experience with a thin body selmer type - perhaps this is more electro-acoustic and it mightn’t affect the sound so much.