DjangoBooks.com

EVH

Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
edited October 2020 in Welcome Posts: 1,252

If you felt a disturbance in the force, it wasn't your imagination.

The little Dutch boy who grew up to be a rock legend has passed.

If you need a pleasant thought to swallow this bitter pill... here's one for you.

Rumor has it that he and Django have a pick-up gig at the Pearly Gates Pub tonight.

Tom Petty on vocals.

It'll be standing room only.

Rock on good man.

https://twitter.com/WolfVanHalen/status/1313561314598350848

You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
vanmalmsteenBucoBillDaCostaWilliamsbillyshakes

Comments

• pmgpmg Atherton, CANew Dupont MD50R, Shelley Park Custom, Super 400, 68 Les Paul Deluxe, Stevie Ray Strat

For any gypsy cherubs at the gig tonight: please post a video. Love to see Django's version of the Beat It solo!

Enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkFTjw9i1jA

Buco
    I'm always interested in jamming with experienced jazz and gypsy jazz players in the San Francisco - San Jose area. Drop me a line. Bass players welcome!
  • vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M

If you watch him pick he actually uses a rest stroke technique very similar to gypsy, especially when he used to tremolo pick

• BonesBones Moderator

That is a real loss. I grew up in Pasadena at the same time as Eddie and went to many "garage" parties on Friday nights where they would last about an hour (if we were lucky) before the cops showed up. If there was a party that "Mammoth" (as the original trio of Eddie, Alex, and Mark Stone on bass was called) was playing at EVERYONE (not literally but it seemed like it) from the high school was there. The whole street would be packed.

RIP Eddie!

vanmalmsteenBucoadrianbillyshakesmac63000rudolfochrist

Sad, sad day for music. Just recently I watched Jerry Cantrell tell a story how Eddie surprised him with a couple of his signature guitars and a few full Marshall stacks which he dropped off at Jerry's garage while Jerry was on tour. They become buddies when Alice in Chains was opening for them. At this time Jerry and the guys didn't make it big yet so Jerry was marveling at Eddie's gear and Eddie had an idea...

vanmalmsteenbillyshakesBones
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL

RIP EVH

The one thing that always struck me about Eddie was not his playing so much, as it was his infectious happiness. He seemed like he was just genuinely happy to be alive and playing the guitar.

constantinebillyshakesBucoBones
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Similar to @Buco 's giving story with Jerry Cantrell, I think when Dimebag Darrell from Pantera passed away, Eddie gave his yellow & black Frankenstrat (from VHII) to be placed in the casket. Dime was a huge fan of Eddie and whenever he and his brother went on stage, their code word was "Van Halen", which meant "Let's go rock this show!" Eddie and Dime met just prior to Darrell's tragic shooting onstage, and when his brother asked Eddie if he could pay him to stripe him up a guitar to put in the casket, Eddie said "An original should have an original" and gave him the actual guitar for free. Class move.

BucoBones
  • JayinPaJayinPa New

Checkout Big Bad Bill is Sweet William now from Van Halen's Diver Down CD. It's an old swing song they recorded. Eddie's Dad plays clarinet on it. It's about as Django as Van Halen ever got.

vanmalmsteenbillyshakesBucoBones
  • geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503

Sad to see EVH pass away. He was truly one of the greatest guitarists ever. He is my inspiration for playing guitar. Before playing DJango style music I was a wannabe EVH and played Van Halen cover songs.

Here is my attempt at playing some Van Halen from about 6 years ago. About 4 years before I got into GJ.

billyshakesBuco
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

“Big Bad Bill”... ! what a surprise to hear Eddie Van Halen paying tribute to a 1929 Eddie Lang minor masterpiece

vanmalmsteenBucoBillDaCostaWilliamsJayinPa
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."

I guess that'd be the job for you @geese_com

Oh yeah, he recorded Beat It solo for free. Didn't even get a credit until the word got out it was him.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel